Are you interested in all things sustainable and making a positive impact whilst at King’s? The Sustainability team have a range of volunteering opportunities, events, and other ways to learn more about climate and sustainability. Find out more and pick your project below!
KEATS Sustainability & Climate module and Seminar Series
The online module on Sustainability & Climate is an open-access and interdisciplinary module covering the biggest topics in sustainability from climate change and food to sustainable finance and social justice. It has been fully co-created by a Take Action Team which currently includes about 50 students, staff, and alumni members. It has been complemented by a Sustainability Seminar Series and other events to build a sense of community and support participants in developing transferable skills. The module and seminar series are relaunching in September/ October 2023. Register your interest here.
King’s Climate Action Network
The King’s Climate Action Network (CAN) is an open forum bringing together more than 400 people from the King’s community who are passionate about climate action. It is a place to foster innovation, brainstorm new ideas and discuss what action King’s needs to take to reach our targets. By joining the King’s CAN, you will get an opportunity to hear from stakeholders about progress in theme-specific sessions, discuss fresh ideas and get a chance to implement them through the Sustainability Projects Fund. Join the King’s CAN.
Sustainability Champions (Staff)
The university’s staff Sustainability Champions work on campus and in our residences to make King’s a more sustainable working environment; reducing the negative and maximising the positive social and environmental impacts. Throughout the year, Sustainability Champions work on implementing projects and actions and working toward gaining a Bronze, Silver or Gold Award. There is the opportunity for students to act as a Sustainability Auditor at the end of the academic year. Find out more.
King’s Climate & Sustainability Month
King’s Sustainability Month takes place every year in February. This month is a collaboration between King’s and KCLSU that offers all those involved an opportunity to learn more about sustainability topics, collaborate and connect with others from across King’s and #TakeAction on the climate crisis. The month includes exciting events organised by people from across the King’s community focused on one or more of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Subscribe to the newsletter to keep updated.
King’s Community Garden
Did you know King’s has a Community Garden on campus? Email email@example.com if you would like to contribute to this garden or get more information. Check out how to find King’s Wolfson Card Courtyard Community Garden. Sign up as a volunteer here.
The King’s Spotlight on Sustainability podcast aims to draw attention to sustainability at King’s and beyond. The goal is to get you thinking about some of the issues and challenges we face regarding climate change and the natural world by highlighting some of the excellent work surrounding sustainability happening at King’s and on a local, national and global level. Start listening here.
King’s Volunteering is your one-stop shop for discovering opportunities and building connections with people and organisations that are driving positive change in our local communities. More organisations are partnering with us every day – supporting causes like education, refugees, culture, the environment and many more. Check out sustainability volunteering opportunities here.
More education-related opportunities
- There are a variety of sustainability-related courses and modules available at King’s, a sample of which you can find here.
- Interested in sustainability research? Why not tailor your dissertation towards sustainable themes? Get in touch with us if you have questions or ideas.
Student societies and projects
- There are several KCLSU student groups dedicated to sustainability such as the Climate Action Society, Eco Soc and the Vegetarian & Vegan Society.
- Already in a society? Contact Sustainability and let us know how we can help you! You can found your own society as well.
- If you want to set up your own sustainability project with friends, a society, or individually, you can get in touch with the team for support. Any ideas, feedback, things to promote, are always welcome: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Anything sustainability-related you would like us to help promote? Submit it here.
- Enjoy writing? Do you have a story to share or a topic to discuss? Looking to develop your writing skills? You could write a guest blog for the Sustainability blog: email us.
- Keep track of sustainability events via our newsletter or social media.
- The Sustainability team is often looking for King’s students and graduates to get involved. These opportunities offer skills learning and work experience in a growing field. Keep up to date about any job openings through our newsletter and King’s careers platforms.
- All of those who make a significant contribution to sustainability at King’s will be recognised through the Sustainability Awards and/or the King’s Experience Champion for Change Awards.
- Check out these useful resources: Sustainability events recordings here (KEATS), Industry guide on Charity, NGOs, Development & The Environment here (KEATS), Blogs about careers in sustainability here.
- Keep an eye out for Sustainability careers information sessions and opportunities via King’s CareerConnect.
Climate and sustainability ambitions and progress
King’s Climate & Sustainability Action Plan was developed in consultation with students, staff and alumni members of the King’s CAN and went live in February 2023. The plan sets new targets across 13 key impact areas, including at least a 25% reduction in carbon emissions by 2025 and a 50% reduction by 2030 across energy use, business travel, our supply chain, commuting and waste. The plan includes a 2030 net zero target and prioritises the absolute reduction of carbon emissions over offsetting and carbon removals.
Our annual Environmental Sustainability Reports summarise the efforts made by the entire King’s community to make the university more sustainable: from managing our estates and providing sustainable food to engaging with our local communities and driving Education for Sustainability. Have a look – we hope it inspires you to take action on climate and sustainability, whatever your role within or beyond King’s!
Make a difference during your time at King’s!