Meet Your Peer Advisors: Emilie

We’ve asked our 2022-23 Peer Advisors to say hello and share more about studying in London and abroad. Expect to hear more from them throughout the year!

Photo of Emilie in Berlin, in front of the Brandenburg Gate, blue skies above
Emilie in front of the Brandenburg Gate, Berlin

Hello!

My name is Emilie, I’m one of the new Global Mobility Peer Advisers. I am a third-year student in International Relations at King’s. I’m half-French, half-Russian and grew up in Marseille in the south of France.

I spent my first year in London, my second year abroad in Hong Kong and last summer as an exchange student in Berlin. I absolutely LOVED it and would definitely recommend going abroad during your studies.  I had an amazing time, discovering new cities, meeting new friends and living life!

On exchange in Hong Kong

It is quite a challenging experience, taking us out of our comfort zone and throwing us into the unknown, but we end up learning so much more and come back with beautiful memories. There are a lot of ups and downs and many worries when it comes to moving to a whole new different country, and it is completely normal, so if you need any help or piece of advice, feel free to contact me!

If you are an incoming student, don’t hesitate to join societies, and get to know new people. For instance, I am considering joining the water polo society, the technospace society, the diplomacy society … There are a LOT of societies, I am pretty sure you’ll find something to your taste!

As for London, if you’re running out of ideas of what to do and like to eat good food, I strongly recommend checking out Borough Market and Camden (not only good for food but also for thrifting) but most importantly… If you are a cheese lover you have to go to the Cheese Bar in Covent Garden (hehe, you’ll thank me later).

If you really like to thrift, you should check out charity shops! On a sunny day, or for a sunset, you should go to Primrose Hill and have a little picnic. If you want to avoid tourist traps and  you’re on a budget, but still want to have a nice view from the Shard without paying the £30 tickets for the viewing point, I’d recommend going to Aqua, one of the bars in the Shard, get the cheapest drink and voilà! Enjoy the magnificent view, especially at night.  Don’t miss out on exhibitions as well!

Finally, for student discounts, I strongly recommend downloading the apps Unidays and Studentbeans!

I hope this was useful and that you have a great time in London 🙂