Meet Your Peer Advisors: Emily

We’ve asked our 2022-23 Peer Advisors to say hello and share more about studying in London and abroad. Expect to hear more from them throughout the year!

Emily in Sydney, in front of the harbour at night.

Hello! My name is Emily and I’m a third-year BA Social Sciences student and Global Mobility Student Peer Advisor. 

I completed a semester abroad for the second semester of my second year and went to Sydney, Australia where I studied at the University of Sydney. I was quite nervous about living abroad for the first time having lived in London my whole life. I never would have guessed that my first time living away from home would involve being 10,000 miles away from friends and family and catching a 25-hour flight to get there but the wonderful Global Mobility Office supported me every step of the way and gave me the confidence I needed to go. It is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made and I’m so grateful to have had this opportunity.

My Top Tips…

Download UniDays! This is a free app which gives you access to student discounts from a bunch of different shops and services with a simple code. It is a great way to save money on clothes, toiletries, tech gear and food. I have certainly saved a fair bit of money thanks to UniDays and all you need is a student email to sign up. It is always worth checking if a shop offers any student discounts as they often do.

Another top tip I have would be to explore the campus facilities on offer here at King’s and find your favourite spots. One of my favourite places on campus is the café on the eighth floor of Bush House. It is a great place to study whilst catching a wonderful view of London. The Meadow in the South East wing of Bush House also offers a relaxed space to catch up with friends and relax. The National Film Institute next door to the Waterloo campus is a cosy spot to sit and study also. It is a great idea to explore the area surrounding campus too. The Southbank, Tate Modern gallery and Covent Garden are all popular spots located near King’s as well.

Lastly, you can get a free four-year Santander 16-25 Railcard when you open a student bank account with Santander. It is free to open a student bank account with Santander and you get a railcard included with this for free (railcards are £30 otherwise). This card will save you a 1/3 on rail fares but can also be added to any Oyster travel card, saving you a 1/3 discount on off-peak pay-as-you-go travel on Transport for London.

There are countless exciting things to do here in London and King’s has so much to offer. I hope you have an incredible time whilst you’re here and if you have any questions then don’t hesitate to reach out to the Global Mobility department.

More information on the Santander Railcard can be found here.