Meet your Peer Advisors: Emmie

We have welcomed four new Peer Advisors to the Global Mobility Office for 2024/25! The Peer Advisors are here to help you, whether you’re an incoming student studying with us at King’s for a semester or a year, or whether you are a King’s student thinking about or planning on going abroad as part of your degree! 

You can make an appointment with Emmie during her Semester 1 office hours on Wednesday from 9:30am – 11:30am. 

____

Hi! My name is Emmie, and I’m one of the four lucky students who get to be a Peer Advisor in the Global Mobility office this year. I’m currently in my third year at King’s, studying Philosophy, Politics, and Economics. I’ve had the incredible opportunity to study abroad several times, and I’m excited to share my experiences with all of you and hopefully provide some great advice!

Most recently, I spent a fantastic semester in Singapore, which was a “double abroad” experience for me since I’m an international student here at King’s. It was the sixth country I’ve studied in so far, and I’m eager to continue adding to that list! Before that, I had the chance to spend a summer studying across various campuses in Mexico through the Global Summer Exchange program. These experiences have shaped my worldview, and I’ve come to deeply appreciate the power of cultural exchange. Meeting people from all over the world, with different beliefs and perspectives, challenges you in ways you don’t expect and helps you grow—as an independent thinker and as a person.

Emmie and a friend on Lunar New Year with a plateful of food
Celebrating the Lunar New Year was a highlight- This year is the year of the Dragon
View of the National University of Singapore campus
View from my dorm room at National University of Singapore- The campus even had a swimming pool!

As much as I love throwing myself into new cultures and experiences, I’m also aware of the challenges that come with it. I’d actually consider myself somewhat of an expert in homesickness, having felt quite a bit of it myself over the years. But with that, I’ve developed strategies for coping and thriving, even while feeling a sense of longing for home. A good starting point for dealing with homesickness is to reframe the cause of it—I try to remember that I am grateful that I have somewhere and someone to miss. If you’re preparing for how to deal with homesickness or experiencing it right now, I’d love to give you my two cents.

London is a city with endless things to do, and it can be quite overwhelming to choose between all the exciting options. When friends visit me here, I often recommend starting with a free walking tour—there are tons of companies offering various types, from historical tours to pop-cultural ones. It’s a great way to get to know the city! I also always suggest visiting the British Museum and Tate Modern, both of which have free admission (I’m a big fan of free activities!). Websites like VisitLondon.com and TimeOut.com are also fantastic resources, with the latter offering up-to-date info on events and discounts that are happing at the moment.

A group of students on Primrose Hill, with a view of London in the background
Picnic at Primrose hill is always a great idea when the weather is nice

I enjoy sharing my experiences as an exchange student, and I hope that by doing so, I can inspire and guide you in your own study abroad journey. Whether you’re considering your options for studying abroad or need tips for making the most of your time in London, I’m here to help!