What are King’s Student Societies like? – Swimming Team

By Silvia Caldesi, BSc Biomedical Engineering

While the academic aspects of university life are certainly the most important, it’s also true that studying in London gives students a fantastic opportunity to meet people with different backgrounds coming from all over the world! A great way of getting to know other students is by joining a society. There is a vast number of student societies at King’s, from the Harry Potter society to the Jazz society.

I am currently a member of several societies, including the Swimming and Water Polo societies. Members of the swimming team are divided into competitive, pre-competitive and recreational teams. We have practice at least three times a week based on which group you are in. There are then three water polo teams – boys, girls and mixed.

The involvement in the society however goes beyond swimming practice. We have socials every Wednesday on sports night with a different theme every week, when we all get together and spend time at Guy’s Bar or the Vault. We also hang out on Fridays after practice when we meet to go somewhere to eat and grab a drink. I’ve have had a lot of fun meeting so many people from different courses and years. One of the things that I have enjoyed the most so far was our team trip to Cambridge in October, where King’s took part into different competitions against other universities. Although I did not compete, I went there to support and cheer my team mates – we had loads of fun!

Being part of a sports team is an amazing experience that I would recommend this to anyone – it is the best way to keep in shape, make friends and reduce the stress from your studies. 

Read more…

Find out about Jonathan’s clearing experience

Check out Lana’s Global Summer Experiences at King’s

Find out more about King’s School of Biomedical Engineering & Imaging Sciences

1 Trackback / Pingback

1. Seize the opportunity! Tips for MSc Financial Mathematics students – Science | Technology | Engineering | Mathematics