5 Factors That Led Me to Study Advanced Computing at King’s

By Sarthak Rajput, MSc Advanced Computing

Starting a new journey is daunting. Like many others, I found myself in a state of confusion when deciding which university to choose for my higher education. After extensive research and careful consideration, I decided to be a part of King’s College London. Here are five reasons why I chose to study Advanced Computing at King’s.

Curriculum:

The first thing that attracted me towards King’s was the variety of modules. Students have the flexibility to choose modules from the most demanding fields like Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Crypto-Currency, and Data Science. The modules are structured in a way to familiarise the students with the basics as well as advanced topics. The modules are complemented by practical sessions or small-group tutorials, ensuring students receive hands-on experience and deepen theoretical understanding.

Global Recognition:

King’s is one of the most acclaimed universities in the world. It is ranked 6th in the UK for computer science according to the QS World Ranking 2023. It is among the top ten universities in the UK under the Employment rank 2023-2024. The university’s faculty is renowned for providing an outstanding educational experience to their students. Even the diversity of the university’s student population attracts eyes nationwide and worldwide. The prospect of meeting students from different countries and exchanging ideas on a broader scale was appealing to me.

London:

King’s lies in the heart of London. It is the most central university among all the universities in London. According to the QS Rankings 2024, London is the Best Student City in the world. Being in London allows students to discover better working opportunities while studying their course. From internships with global companies to networking events and cultural festivals, students have access to a wide range of experiences that complement their academic journey. Beyond academics, London provides several extracurricular activities and opportunities for personal and professional growth. Every part of the city is well connected via public transport, making it easy for students to explore the area.

Networking Opportunities:

King’s regularly hosts events, seminars and workshops in collaboration with the big tech companies. These events allow students to connect with industry experts and showcase their talent. Moreover, the King’s Career & Employability Team organises Career Fairs to support students to explore different career pathways and connect with professionals. Also, being a part of societies, volunteering initiatives, and research projects can enable students to develop their leadership skills and connect with other students.

Facilities and Resources:

At King’s, students have access to a comprehensive range of facilities and resources designed to support their academic endeavours and personal development. The university’s state-of-the-art libraries provide extensive collections of reading resources, along with quiet study spaces and group collaboration areas. The labs and research centres are equipped with modern applications to familiarise students with the latest technology. Additionally, King’s offers several support services, including academic advising, career counselling, and mental health support.

In spite of receiving offers from different institutions such as Queen Mary University of London and University of Edinburgh, these factors led me to join King’s instead. Being aware of the hard work and time I need to put in to achieve my future goals, I decided to learn under the guidance of the best professors in the world. With the support of King’s College London, I know I’ll be ready to unlock my full potential and make meaningful contributions to the world of computing.

Read More…

An International Student’s King’s Experience

What’s it like returning to study after work? My top tips for master’s students