How King’s has supported my career ambitions in research

By Olga, Chemistry with Biomedicine MSci

Each person has a different idea of what they want to do with their life, but only a handful are 100% sure. This is where King’s comes in. Personally, I would love to go into Chemistry Research, but am not yet sure which field I’d like to pursue specifically. However, I know that the support and opportunities offered at King’s will help me in my decision. This includes things like…

1. Internships

King’s offers its own undergraduate research fellowship scheme called KURF. This is a fantastic opportunity to get involved with the research being done at King’s, possibly by some of your lecturers. It introduces you to the working world and gives you invaluable experience which future employers will highly regard. 

2. Your personal tutor

At King’s, you are provided with a personal tutor. This is normally a lecturer in your department who you can go to with any questions or concerns. These can be career-orientated, and your personal tutor will do their best to point you in the right direction. Your relationship with your personal tutor is important, and they are a very good person to provide references to support future job applications. 

3. Career events

Finally, there are many career events hosted at King’s throughout the year. Personally, I am most interested in the information evenings about PhD opportunities at King’s, as this is a path I am seriously considering. Some events also include is also a chance to talk to PhD students in labs and workshops, in order to ask them how they got into PhD programs and why. 

So as you can see, there are many opportunities at King’s to help develop your career ambitions. This can be research, but there are events centered around other topics as well, such as teaching, banking etc. Everyone is welcome to come to these events – your time at King’s will open many doors for consideration!

Read more…

Read about Isabella’s experience of the King’s Global Internships Programme

Matt’s letter from a PhD student to a first year

Find out more about King’s Department of Chemistry

1 Trackback / Pingback

1. My summer lab placement experiences – Science | Technology | Engineering | Mathematics