My experience of a King’s Student Society: Womxn in Physics

By Favour Ajao, BSc Physics

You may be wondering: why the odd spelling of Womxn?

This is to highlight the inclusivity of this student society, and is indicative that it is open to all genders and minority groups. This was one of the main reasons I wanted to be on the committee for King’s Womxn in Physics (WiP) society. The society is a welcoming and easily accessible community that made me feel personally welcome, comfortable and engaged during my first year of physics, with the many different ranges of events hosted by WiP throughout the year. 

I am currently the social secretary of the King’s WiP society. My job is to organise socials or “fun” events for the society. So far this academic year we have had multiple events including “Meet the women in the department” and  everyone’s favourite monthly “Coffee and Cake” sessions. The latter is an informal event at which students can catch up and socialise with others over a slice of cake! It is also a great opportunity to meet other people in and outside the department. 

The society hosts an annual conference in which women and other minority groups can share their experiences and engage in workshops. My favourite from last year was “Confident and killing it”; a workshop designed to boost the confidence of minority groups in any field. It was a very interactive and super insightful day, and it was particularity interesting to learn about the journeys of women who are now leading their fields and the research they are now undertaking.

I am really looking forward to this year’s conference, which I have had joy in planning and promoting! The conference is open to the public and free for anyone to attend, hope to see you there!

Read more…

Find out about Julia’s experience as part of the King’s LGBTQ+ Community

Check out Puja’s take on discovering London whilst at King’s!

Find out more about King’s Department of Physics

1 Trackback / Pingback

1. 20 questions with a Physics student – Science | Technology | Engineering | Mathematics