My top 3 study tips

By Hui Eng Lim, MSc Complex Systems Modelling

Postgraduate studies can be very intense! But I hope that you’ll find these tips useful to will help ease your life and stress as a postgraduate. 

1. Create a flexible routine

If you have a set routine, that’s great! However if you’re someone like me who has a very hectic and unpredictable schedule, having a flexible approach is really helpful. The idea of this is to be able to set weekly goals, and finding the time to actually reach these targets that you have made. I like to make checklists and plan out my day on Sundays for the week ahead

2. Understand your limits, and learn to reset 

There are times when I become stressed and unmotivated, and my brain just decides to shut down and not want to do anything. Does this happen to anyone else? 

I’ve learnt that it’s important to understand yourself, and know when to stop and reset in order to start afresh. Try and find something to do that is unrelated to your academic studies to take a break – a few things that I like to do include: finishing a painting, taking long walks, or reading a short story. 

3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help 

I understand that approaching your professors or anyone who can be of help is extremely scary because, ‘what if they think I’m an idiot!’. But I’ve also learnt that lecturers and professors can be very understanding and considerate of your nerves about approaching them, so do be sure to go to them before it’s too late to understand the topics that you are supposed to be learning.

However, I’m not just talking about help from lecturers, minding your mental health and talking to wellbeing  support within your university is also important – don’t be afraid to reach out 🙂 

Good luck, and wishing you the best in your journey as a postgraduate! 

Read more…

Interested in student societies? Check out Ayu’s post on KCL Tech Society

What are the differences between Undergraduate and Postgraduate study? 

Find out more about King’s Department of Mathematics