Life at King’s – Being part of a university sports club

Daniela

By Daniela Nolan, PG Dip Mathematics, Department of Mathematics

It is important to find ways to fill your free time whilst at university. A great way to do this is by joining a university sports club. This gives you an opportunity to exercise, socialise and be more involved in the university community. I am a member of the King’s Athletics Club and the Triathlon Club.

One great thing about university sports clubs is that they are open to all abilities. Clubs will cater for complete beginners right up to international athletes. I had done athletics before coming to King’s but I had never even thought about doing a triathlon. I have had so much fun learning about the sport and trying new things.

You can be as committed as you like. Most clubs will have something on every day of the week. So it is up to you when you go. However, if you decide you want to compete for the university you may be expected to go to certain training. I like to plan my training alongside my timetable so that I have enough time for everything.

Interuniversity competition is a very unique thing about doing sport at university. At King’s you have the opportunity to compete against other London unis (usually UCL) at annual varsity events. You can then represent the university on a national level at BUCS competitions (British University and College Sport). This also means that sometimes you will be able to travel across the country to other universities. These events are usually on Wednesday afternoons so this time is left free on your university timetable. Personally, I have represented King’s as part of triathlon at BUCS duathlon championships and athletics at London university cross country races.

Sports clubs aren’t just about training – there is also a huge social aspect. There is a weekly Wednesday sports night at The Vault and clubs have other socials like Christmas dinners. Joining a sports club means that you will meet people from outside your halls and course. Since clubs are open to everyone you will be with people from other campuses and degree years. Some of the best friends I’ve made at university are from my sports club because we have similar interests.

King’s has a club for almost every sport you can think of. I would encourage new students to go to a variety of taster sessions first because you never know what might be your thing.

1 Trackback / Pingback

1. My top tips for first year Chemistry students – Science | Technology | Engineering | Mathematics