Why I chose to study MSc Web Intelligence at King’s

Chris

By Chris Mavraki, MSc Web Intelligence, Department of Informatics

Greetings!

My name is Chris and I am a postgraduate student at King’s College London. I’m doing my master’s in Web Intelligence this year, after graduating from my first degree in Computer Science from Athens University of Economics and Business in Greece.

I have to admit that looking for your next step after graduating is not an easy task. I knew that I wanted to continue my studies by doing a master’s degree, however, during my search most master’s programmes I came across offered either extremely specialised knowledge in a narrow field or were broader degrees that did not offer much specialisation.

What drew me to King’s College London was that Web Intelligence offered me a specialisation in Artificial Intelligence which is a topic that I knew I wanted to delve into deeper, without limiting the opportunities to attend other modules focused on web technologies and other computer science related topics. This flexibility in my studies will, in my opinion, arm me with both a varied and specialised skillset, which is very employable.

This brings me to the next reason that led me to pick King’s. In my experience, there is an oxymoron in higher education. While many if not most students enroll in MSc programmes in order to enrich their knowledge and grow their careers, universities focus mostly on research and the purely academic side of education. King’s achieves the best of both worlds because while it is academically ranked very high amongst the UK and worldwide every year, it also gives students many networking opportunities, and helps with the job hunting process with activities such as career fairs, advice on CVs and even mock interviews.

Another important factor for me in choosing King’s College London is the location. Both Strand and Waterloo campuses, where my lectures are held, are in central locations that make it easy for me to commute. Also, the facilities such as the informatics labs in Bush House are amazing and studying there is always a pleasure.

I am very glad I was accepted to study at King’s College London, and so far I can confidently say it has exceeded all my expectations.