How King’s is supporting my careers journey

Conor

By Conor Beale, MSci Chemistry, Department of Chemistry

As much as we all love the freedom of university and the idea of staying a student forever, whilst that is still an option, the idea of getting a job after university is a reality that hits us all. However, there are many services to help you with your choices and options after King’s.

I’m in my second year of Chemistry and like many others I still have no idea what I want to do for the rest of my life. And that, I find, is a very daunting question that hangs over me every day.

However, luckily for me I have an amazing personal tutor that really knows how to help. I went to see her one day, and said: ‘I literally have no I idea what I want to do, please can you help?’ After 30 mins of discussion we managed to narrow my options down to just three sectors.

For these, she gave me all of my options and chances to experience what it was like. For example, I thought the idea of research was an avenue to explore, so I applied for research schemes over the summer. She has been my reference, and I couldn’t have asked for any better. She even sent an extra reference to one scheme, as she didn’t feel she had bigged me up enough! I really feel without her, I would still have no idea what I was doing.

Throughout my degree, there have been many opportunities to hone my skills in the areas that will help my career both start and flourish. The wide range of assessment techniques that Kings’ uses allows us to experience writing reports, presentations, interviewing measures and answering questions. I feel these skills have dramatically improved since coming to university.

Not only the assessment techniques, but also the people: academics within the departments are so friendly that you really feel you can talk to them. Maybe even ask stupid questions. This allows students to get used to talking in a professional and respectful way, which I feel is a great skill that is needed for use within the workplace of your choice.

Besides individual departments there is a great Careers Service offering friendly advice and anything you feel may help you, from CV workshops to practice interviews. All you have to do is book in advance and let them help you.