Accommodation – How I chose halls (a PG Perspective)

Srinath

By Srinath Panchavati Ramakrishna, MSc Computing & Security, Department of Informatics

If there is anything you want to do in life, even if it is something you think is not conventional, chances are that there are enough avenues in the amazing city of London to explore and find what you seek. Most of the fun activities happen in the central parts of London (Zone 1 and 2) and as a student you would want to be living such a neighbourhood. You would want to also stay somewhere not far away from the campus that you are based at, and also not pay exorbitant residence fees at the same time.

When I was asked to apply for a residence, I started looking into the King’s residences spread across Zone 1 and Zone 2 and saw that Orchard Lisle and Iris Brooke had exactly what I seek. I personally did not mind non en-suite flats because I wanted to experience living with people from other nationalities and understand their culture; also, they are usually cheaper than the en-suite flats!

While researching the halls, I found that Orchard Lisle and Iris Brooke sit in the centre of London: five minutes away from the very famous London Bridge, three minutes from the beautiful (and as my flat-mates would say – cute) Borough Market, five-six minutes from the tallest building in the UK – the Shard (some of the flats at OL & IB have brilliant view of the Shard. Just pray you get one of those flats!), and three minutes from the London Bridge Tube station. To top all of this, OL & IB are right next to Guy’s campus. You can wake up at 8:30 AM and still make it to the 9 AM lecture at Guy’s campus! If you are based at Strand campus, like me, fret not, it is only a 25-30 minute walk from the halls. You don’t have to spend a lot of money on travel to uni; I save a lot of money by walking and burn a lot of calories as well in the process. There are also many gyms around this area (King’s Sport gym and Guy’s gym are very nearby) if you want to burn more calories!

London Bridge is also a very happening place for nightlife. You have many pubs around the halls within walking distance and our very own Guy’s bar is like 200 metres from the halls. Apart from this, many night clubs are also around this area, so your Friday and Saturday nights are taken care of. All of these factors played a vital role in me choosing Orchard Lisle and Iris Brooke as my residence and I do not regret my decision. I am having the time of my life!

2 Trackbacks / Pingbacks

1. 3 Tips for International Students – Science | Technology | Engineering | Mathematics
  2. How my time at King’s is supporting my career ambitions – Science | Technology | Engineering | Mathematics