Why I chose to study Electronic Engineering at King’s – An international student’s perspective

Rashmita

By Rashmita Kearle, BEng Electronic Engineering with Management, Department of Informatics

Choosing to attend college abroad is probably one of the scariest things an 18-year-old could think of. Leaving Singapore, one of the safest countries in the world, to go to a country I had no idea about, was a huge step out of my comfort zone. However, it was a step I never regretted taking. King’s was always one of my top college considerations ever since I decided to study in the UK.

One of the main reasons I picked King’s was because of its highly-acclaimed reputation not just in the UK, but in the world. King’s is a very prestigious college and one that is a force to be reckoned with when mentioned anywhere. I knew this from just research and rankings before I applied, but now after actually joining the college, I can see how true it is. Whenever I apply for job opportunities, such as corporate networking events or insight days at companies, professionals are always impressed when they learn I come from King’s . Thanks to its established reputation it has one of the highest employability ranks in the UK, and I can vouch for this benefit as I have experienced it first-hand.

Another reason is its prime location. Being in the heart of London, you are literally in the centre of all the action. With London being so saturated with culture, King’s is a perfect location to really experience the city, from my experience as a foreigner. With it being within walking distance of Covent Garden, the West End, Trafalgar Square and countless other landmarks, I have definitely been able to really enjoy the vibe and culture of the city, even on my walks to and from college. Besides the fun, being in the heart of London also provides great career opportunities. As an international student, this was a great pro for me as I wanted to make the most of my time in the UK, and preferred to be in the centre of the capital city, rather than on a disconnected campus.

Finally, King’s provides tons of great developmental programmes, both personal and professional. The careers department is really helpful in providing counselling and advice for anyone seeking guidance on professional development. King’s is also always hosting events and talks which focus on developing one’s personal and professional skills, all to boost employability as well as self-growth. There is no shortage of opportunities to develop oneself as well, with countless clubs and societies covering all sorts of themes from sports to academic to general interests and hobbies.

I researched all of this before choosing King’s , and now that I am here I can safely say it lives up to its claims. King’s has helped me immensely in terms of developing myself as a global citizen and a professional ready to take on the working world.