Thalia

Thalia

Professor of Developmental Behavioural Genetics

My work focuses on exploring interplay between genes and the environment with respect to the development and treatment of anxiety and depression, particularly in young people. I have always been fascinated by the fact that different people react so differently from one another when under stress. In my research I use both twin studies, in order to estimate the relative contribution of genes and the environment, and also molecular genetic approaches, which can identify links between specific genes and outcomes of interest. I also draw on methods used in experimental psychology to explore aspects of information processing that may be relevant mechanisms when trying to understand the role of genes and the environment on the development and treatment of anxiety and depression.

Kirstin

Postdoctoral Research Associate

Interested in the intersect between psychology and genetics, particularly in regards to anxiety, treatment and fear conditioning.

Alicia

PhD student

My research focuses on responses to environmental experiences. I am interested in understanding the genetic and psychological influences on how we react to our environments, ranging from very negative traumatic events to positive experiences such as psychological therapy.

Helena

PhD student

My research interests include understanding genetic and environmental factors influencing the development of eating disorders. I am primarily working on the Eating Disorders Genetics Initiative (EDGI) and the Genetic Links to Anxiety and Depression (GLAD) study. I am also undertaking a placement at the eating disorder charity, Beat.

Georgina

Georgina

Clinical Research Fellow & Principal Clinical Psychologist

My research interests include using genetically-informative approaches to understand factors underpinning the development of obsessive-compulsive disorder and body dysmorphic disorder in young people. I am also interested in understanding psychological processes that maintain these disorders, in order to improve cognitive behavioural treatments and optimise outcomes.

Yasmin

Yasmin

Postdoctoral Research Associate

My research is focussed on understanding how common mental health problems run in families. I use genetically informed research methods to disentangle the role of genes and environments, particularly in the context of parent and child anxiety and depression. I am deeply concerned about a major caveat in our research to date, and across mental health research more broadly, in that large-scale, family-based cohorts are comprised almost exclusively of white families. I am a member of the SGDP anti-racism working group, aimed at raising awareness and instigating change in our department to address racial inequalities at work and in our research.

Molly

Research Assistant & PhD student

My research utilises the Genetic Links to Anxiety and Depression (GLAD) Study cohort to investigate methods of assessing anxiety and depressive disorders and patterns of comorbidity.