Laura’s summer at King’s

At the beginning of 2019, I started thinking about my summer vacation. I wondered: ‘what could I do that would both be interesting and fun whilst travelling abroad?’ After endlessly scrolling through Web pages, I decided that King’s summer programme would be the perfect fit. The application process was straightforward, and since it is a prestigious and world- renowned university, I patiently waited for the admissions results.
Taking a strong interest in the legislation, I attended undergraduate-level law classes.

Throughout the two weeks, I was able to learn a lot in a short time. Apart from having lectures in the morning, we visited the Royal Courts of Justice as a group and took part in mock trials, thus we really experienced working as a barrister for a few hours. Furthermore, guest speakers having different projects gave us insight into their work. Not only did I meet peers sharing the same interest, I also engaged in group activities with students from other modules. For instance, I got to discuss with people whose career paths seemed completely different to mine and who came from a variety of cultures. The entrepreneurship challenge and free time until curfew played a key role in building an international network.

I would recommend the residential option, since I am still in touch with people from all around the world, with whom I experienced a preview of life at university. Considering that King’s campus is located in the centre of London, we took advantage of our evenings to wander around the city. Even though walking five miles at once seemed reasonable (we just stopped for pictures), we realised in the morning that we would not get through the two weeks that way. On the bright side, I can now work out which route to take by looking at the tube map without looking like a moron.  Moreover, being far from home gave me a feeling of independence and I am looking forward to going to university. The experience was truly enriching, rewarding and empowering and I believe that anyone can benefit from it!