Pei’s summer at King’s

Summer at King’s has been a truly remarkable experience for me. I have never studied out of my own country before, hence, this really allowed me to immerse myself into a totally different academic culture. From the start, I had intended to study literature in London as I felt that the city was brimming with literary resources and history. What made me choose King’s College was the variety of unique courses and the availability of information on them. These helped me to decide whether I was truly interested in committing to the course over my summer holiday.

The course I chose was Wonderland: 100 Years of Children’s literature, which caught my eye due to the diverse range of interesting topics covered. I loved how the course did not shy away from discussing controversial topics such as Psychoanalysis of the author and Gender Theory. In class, everyone was supportive and encouraging, despite being from different backgrounds and countries. I felt comfortable enough to speak up in class as I knew that others would not laugh at me but instead build on my answers.

However, Summer School at King’s was not only about studying, I managed to attend lots of events and make a lot of new friends there too! We had lots of fun exploring the city together, everything was only a walk away since King’s was located conveniently in the heart of London! The school even arranged fun social events for us such as the Harry Potter Walking Tour and the trip to Greenwich.

I loved the fact that there were so many Galleries and Theatres around. We could literally pop into theatres for matinee performances right after class. It was a bonus being able to use the Student Discount to get tickets for many ticketed activities around London.

Truthfully, I had gone over without much expectations on meeting new friends. I was afraid that people would end up being too cliquey. I ended up being proved wrong as everyone that I met there was so warm and welcoming. Even the locals in London were very friendly! Every interaction I had in King’s ended in a new friendship. Words cannot express how happy and thankful I am to have been given such a wonderful opportunity to meet so many different people and expand my view of the world!

Pei Wen