Study Women’s and Child Health in London this summer

If you’re an early year medical student thinking of choosing obstetrics, gynaecology or paediatrics as a potential career choice then our 3-week Summer School in Women’s Health and Child Health could be for you!

Students will experience what it’s like to work in the pioneering health and research centres of Evelina Children’s Hospital and Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals. You will have the opportunity to interact with consultants, junior doctors, nurses, therapists, specialists, patients, families and students from all over the world.

Our programme is a variety of interactive workshops, lectures, practical simulation classes and clinical attendance. Students are given the opportunity to use simulation facilities to learn important practical skills such as ultrasound, pelvic examination and obstetric palpation, prior to their clinical attachments in medical school.

Each student will be assigned a mentor group led by a final year medical student from King’s College London. Your mentor will give you guidance and support throughout the programme, as well as insight into what it’s like to study in London and work in the NHS.

Here’s a quote from a student who attended in 2018:

‘This summer school really helped me understand I chose the right career path. I used to have many doubts about my choice, but during the clinical attendance, when I met the patients and when I understood that, as a doctor, you can really make a difference in a person’s life, I felt the passion for what I am doing/studying inside of me, and I said to myself: “That’s it, I’m here, and I could never be anywhere else in the world. Medicine is my place’. – Martina Marrad

The Summer School in Women’s Health and Child Health runs between 1-19 July 2019, with the option to do the Summer School in Women’s Health from 1-12 July 2019.

If you would like more information please check our module page or email summer@kcl.ac.uk.

Deadlines for applications is 31st May 2019, applications can be submitted here.

Please note that applicants should be current medical students who have completed at least one year of medical study by the time they attend the Summer School.