Why Comparative Literature?

With school life approaching its end, one must also bid farewell to most decisions being predetermined for you. Higher education was undeniably the next step on my journey, yet the vastness of possibilities left me at a crossroads where each potential path seemed both inviting and daunting. I refused to be stifled by something too narrow or to navigate something so open-ended that it merely fuelled my indecision. After a whole summer anticipating another course, I knew in my first week of university that I had to transfer against all odds upon accidentally stumbling across the courses page on the KCL website.

One of my favourite parts of this course is seeing inquiring faces contorting into a symphony of confusion upon hearing of such a foreign two words. I like to call it a cultured version of plain English, a passport to literary adventures across the globe. It goes beyond merely dissecting letters – it connects you with the heartbeat of different cultures and societies across space and time as you embark on a journey into the very soul of humanity.

Comparative Literature at King’s promised to build bridges between disciplines to prove that literature is not confined to pages in a dusty book, but it is a living, breathing entity that intersects with history, philosophy, psychology, and more. The world deserves to be viewed through such a multifaceted and versatile lens. The accomplished faculty, with direct contributions to this emerging field of study, are also storytellers who breathe life into the narratives they each. More than an academic journey, it is a chance to be guided by those who have navigated the literary seas.

Choosing King’s College London means immersing myself in the vibrant literary wonderland that is the city itself. London continues to transcend time as a muse for countless writers, and it has become mine too. Education thereby takes a step outside the classroom, in the very heartbeat of a city steeped in rich literary history, and its diversity connects different worlds into an intricate web of cultures.

Comparative Literature is one of those courses which is only embarked upon through a deeply personal journey, into the heart of storytelling. It is more than mere annotations, calculations, last-minute submissions; it is about uncovering worlds whose existence you may never have fathomed, and ultimately uncovering your own self while connecting with a community that shares the same appreciation. It has become a new chapter in my own story, where every page turned is a step closer to understanding the universe and humanity through the power of words.

Written by Kainat Qureshi, 2nd year comparative literature with film studies