Career Growth Abroad: Unpacking the Riches of a Munich Internship

I’ve always cherished the year abroad component of my degree, especially as a German student, which led me to the vibrant city of Munich. The freedom it granted us during this period was truly remarkable. While some of my course mates chose full-time university studies, and others pursued internships, my passion for a comprehensive experience prompted me to do both. This decision unfolded into a captivating 5-month internship at BSH, adding a distinctly German touch to my academic and professional journey.   

Personally, getting through the internship application process was a bit of a struggle for me. I faced a bunch of rejections early on, which was pretty discouraging. Thankfully, King’s College encouraged us to start the whole job hunt early, even if our internship plans were set for later in the academic year. It took off a load of stress during the first half of my year abroad. 

After dealing with a bunch of “thanks, but no thanks” emails, I finally got an interview with Bosch Siemens Hausgeräte for a Product Marketing Internship. And you know what? I got the gig! It was a relief after all the ups and downs of the application rollercoaster. 

I considered myself incredibly fortunate to snag this opportunity with such a big and well-known company, and I have to say, it lived up to all my expectations. My role was in the Marketing department, specifically focusing on all things related to food appliances—a dream for someone like me who loves to cook in their free time. By the time I wrapped up my stint, I was practically an encyclopaedia on food processors, hand blenders, juicers… you name it! 

I played a supporting role for the entire Marketing team, and it was fantastic because it allowed me to dip my toes into various tasks. My day-to-day responsibilities involved prepping analyses and presentations, organizing workshops, conducting global competitor analyses, and diving into market research projects on specific topics, like plant-based milks. One of the coolest parts of my internship was a visit to Bosch’s content creation factory. We spent three days recording the performance of our latest appliance and comparing it to competitors’—and, no surprise, ours came out on top! 

Finishing up this internship was a real win for me. Not only did I score some solid work experience that I’m sure will come in handy down the road, but I also got to soak up a whole new culture. Being in Munich wasn’t just about the job—it was a total cultural immersion. The lively city vibes, the awesome food scene, and the cool friendships with co-workers made it a seriously good time. It wasn’t just about levelling up professionally; it was like my own little global growth journey. 

To all the students considering an internship abroad, my advice is simple: take the plunge. Trust me, it’s more than just a job—it’s a cultural odyssey that turbocharges your personal and professional growth. 🚀 

Written by Judith Arrizabalaga, 4th year Management & Modern Languages