Why I chose to study Film

I’m currently in my first year of studying English with film and discovering more and more our connection to art and literature everyday. Right now,  I’ll just be focusing on my experience studying film and why I chose this course in the first place. Like most people, watching films has been a big part of my life. Of course, not many other subjects have the luxury of watching films in their lectures, and whilst that is exciting, the course is about so much more than that! As film is one of the most popular forms of entertainment that we consume, it’s important to think about how they reflect or challenge the world around us, as well as what they communicate about our internal selves.

I became interested in the deeper meanings of films during the pandemic. With so much free time on my hands it was easy to watch many different films and spend time thinking about them. One film would lead onto another through connecting actors, directors or writers, until eventually I began to watch what would be considered more ‘art house’ films and built up my own personal connection to their meaning. There is a frequent stereotype that film courses can consist of ‘pretentious’ film-watching, but this isn’t always true. Last semester we even watched a Disney Pixar film, Soul. Although more abstract or ‘artsy’ films can seem intimidating, This allows for more intriguing interpretations and analyses. I would say that those who haven’t studied film in the past may consider it similar to other humanities, as the study of film theory centres around context, analysis, and what a piece of art has to say about our wider society. If you have an interest in the humanities as well as visual images, I would say film is the right course for you!

As for why I chose to study film at King’s, there’s really no competition when it comes to being able to study film in London. There is an endless amount of cinemas all around the city, both big and small. I come from a small town where only the biggest blockbusters would be screened in a single cinema, Now  in London,  it is almost guaranteed that all new, intriguing films will be shown somewhere. Personally, I am lucky enough to have the BFI Southbank right at my doorstep. Not only do 16-25 year olds get unlimited £3 cinema tickets, but there is also free access to their library and mediateque (where you can sit and watch films for free!) Most cinemas have discounted tickets for students, and so there really is no need to hold back. In addition to this, the annual London Film Festival allows you to see exclusive previews of upcoming films and even attend the red carpet with actors and directors, and this isn’t the only time of year that there are red carpet events. Of course on the more practical side, there are so many creative people all around the city willing to collaborate on films that they are passionate about. The KCL Film Society is a student-led way to network with others and create something magical together.  Studying film in London has allowed me to expand how I think about the media we consume and what is says about us, it’s a deeply rewarding experience.

Written by Sana Tofiq, 1st Year English with Film