What I Wish People Knew About CMCI

What I Wish People Knew About a Culture, Media and Creative Industries Degree – Hannah Sugars (First Year Undergraduate Student)

Culture, Media and Creative Industries (CMCI, as it is best known among the student body) fundamentally explores the reciprocal relationship between the named creative sectors and their consumers. Indeed, we do inform the direction of all three components in our everyday living. But upon a glance, it is perhaps unclear as to what precisely this qualification entails. After all, it encompasses a rather broad scope of ideas. This degree is largely distinguished in virtue of its contemporary significance, its relatability and resonance.

First and foremost, I believe it is imperative to address that whilst there is a focus in large on creative practices and/or products, this course is predominantly theory-and-research-based. Much like all courses at Kings College, CMCI is a largely academic discipline. I for one was under the naive impression that I would have less work than my fellow students taking English or History, for example, especially being that CMCI is 100% coursework and therefore necessitates no formal examinations. However, much to my surprise – and a pleasant one at that, being that I am a nerd at heart – I was most certainly mistaken. This degree is no walk in the park – and luckily so. I am both intellectually stimulated and encouraged to further my passions. It’s really a win-win.

To elaborate on the above ideas, CMCI is perhaps best summarised as inter-disciplinary. It opens many a career door, offering the advantage of broadening one’s skillset. An all-encompassing and versatile course, but whilst broad, the skills acquired are transferrable and largely applicable to more focussed and highly specific sectors of industry. The comprehensive depth and breadth of knowledge offered is such that the skills developed render possible a vast number of career prospects. What’s more, working with professionals specialising in a number of fields increases networking opportunities, key stepping stones into one’s preferred industry.

CMCI is multidimensional, catering to range of interests and furthering creative abilities relevant to a number of substantially distinct –  but also fundamentally interrelated -industries. Not only does it offer interesting knowledge, but it is also largely pertinent, exploring issues characteristic of the contemporary moment. The significant proportion of political content encourages both critical thinking – which is ultimately valuable in all aspects of life alike – and social awareness – fostering a keen sense of mutual understanding and community. Further, this course draws on historical content, exploring its causal relationship to the present day and in turn providing an increasingly in-depth understanding of current affairs.

In an era of globalization and increasing digitalisation, CMCI is yet to become more relevant and the knowledge and skills acquired ever more valuable.

This is a somewhat brief – but hopefully informative nonetheless – summary of CMCI. If you are considering taking this course, let this be your sign to follow through with that application!

Written by Hannah Sugars, 1st year Culture, Media and Creative industries BA.