Digital Asset & Media Management – what is it and why am I studying it?

My name is Theresa and I’m currently doing a Master’s Degree in Digital Asset & Media Management (DAMM) at King’s College London. In this blog post, I will tell you a bit about why I chose to study DAMM at King’s, and why I decided to move from Denmark to London to study for my postgraduate degree.

I’m going to be honest with you, it is a lot of work choosing a university and course that fits what you are looking for. Now, I’m not saying that you have to have your entire life plan figured out at this point but having a sense of what type of job or at least the type of company and industry you’re interested in working for is a great place to start. For me, it’s either social media or the music industry. Better yet, social media in the music industry.

I have always been obsessed with creating, planning and organising content, and ever since social media began to claw its way into our lives, I have been fascinated with the mechanics behind it all. Whilst studying for my undergraduate, I realised that I was more into the planning part of media rather than the creating part, so when it came to finding the right postgraduate course for me I knew I wanted something that involved media and management, so I used these as keywords.

After doing some digging online I found King’s and the MA in Digital Asset & Media Management. It checked all the boxes: it was located in Central London, the university ranked highly on the QS World University Ranking (top 25!), it involved both theoretical and practical work, and I liked the idea of being able to choose my own modules out of a list of very interesting topics.

I applied and fast forward a few months I got my offer! At this point, I had four offers from different universities and obviously had to narrow it down to one. For me, the only way to do so was to visit in person. I know this isn’t possible for everyone, but if you can do it, DO IT. The minute I sat foot on Strand Campus, there was no doubt in my mind. King’s was the right university for me. It was one of those things where you just know that you are exactly where you need to be. I didn’t even visit any of the other universities I had planned, I didn’t have to. The morale of the story is if you are struggling to decide what university to go for, do yourself a favour and visit in person. One thing is how great something sounds or look like online, another thing is what it’s like in reality.

There are a few reasons why I chose to study abroad to do my postgraduate degree. Firstly, I wanted to challenge myself personally and moving abroad seemed like a great way to do so. Having to adapt to another culture and being completely independent is one of the most exciting and rewarding things I have ever done, and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Secondly, London offers great employment opportunities in the creative industries for graduates. Some of the most innovative and leading companies in media and creative industries are based in London, giving you the opportunity to work with the absolute best of the best. An opportunity I wouldn’t have had back home. Finally, London is an incredibly city for students. It has so much to offer and you will never find yourself with nothing to do or see, that’s for sure. Recent numbers show that the UK is the second most popular destination in the world for international students and I completely understand why. It’s pretty damn great!

Check out a day in the life of an MA Digital Asset & Media Management student!

2 Comments