Riya’s Summer at King’s

The day before summer school, I wandered the hectic streets of London dreaming about what the next three weeks would be like. I already knew I was in love with the beautiful and vibrant city, but my uncertainty of the new people and schooling left my stomach in butterflies. I was hesitant but excited for this new journey I was about to embark on. As soon as I walked through the school’s doors, all my worries were put to rest. I realised that students from all around the world came to King’s College London for the adventure of a lifetime, just like me. I met people from England, China, Russia, Australia, India, Germany, etc. and little did I know they would be my friends for a lifetime. Learning and experiencing everyone’s cultures had to have been one of the most exciting parts of my journey. Before this, I never had the opportunity of getting close with so many people from so many different countries, but King’s easily let that happen for me.

As I am a pre-medical student studying Microbiology and Immunology in the U.S, I decided to take Anatomy and Physiology to further my studies in the sciences. As expected, most of my classes in the States involved in depth learning about microorganisms, diseases, and the immune system. On the other hand, King’s offered Anatomy and Physiology which allowed me to have a broader perspective of the human body and its functions. Learning from this perspective encouraged me even further into in my career in medicine. Participating in dissections and practicals really allowed me to have a hands-on experience and take my traditional classroom learning a step further.
My experience at King’s College London has truly been unforgettable. The three weeks that I was there truly felt like three days! Living in London and meeting such inspirational friends and professors was incredible and I am forever thankful for this opportunity!

Riya Kumar