Hi – I’m Ben Hunt, KCLSU President.
I’m a Philosophy student, was Vice President for Education (Arts & Sciences) last year and am your elected President for 2016/17. As part of the Student Officer team, my job’s to lead KCLSU (our Students’ Union), represent your views to the university and make sure your student experience at King’s is the best possible.
Our Union’s where we can get involved in university life outside our courses, make a difference for ourselves, each other and the world around us, socialise and connect with one of the most diverse networks of people in the world and access support when we need advice or help to make the most of our time at King’s.
King’s students are an incredibly diverse group – we study different subjects, at different levels and we all have different backgrounds and identities, so we all need different things. Leaving with our degrees is of course a huge priority, but we’re also here to build memories, meet people and explore the interests that make us who we are.
Together, we’ve done incredible things to improve the lives of our fellow students, at King’s and beyond, as well as for our communities. Here’s just a tiny snapshot:
- Ensured the University would act as rent guarantors for International students. Previously, International students were struggling to secure accommodation.
- Put Kosher food on the menu in KCLSU and University spaces.
- Worked with disadvantaged communities in outreach projects, inspiring young people to pursue Higher or Further Education.
- Made sure free sanitary products were available for free to students in our Student Centres.
- Raised hundreds of thousands for charity, every year.
- Campaigned against cuts in the NHS.
- Reduced the number of redundancies made in the Health Schools.
- Campaigned for microwaves in our spaces so we can eat our own food.
If you’re planning to work while you study, you could work with the Union. All our staff earn the London Living Wage – something we campaigned for and won. There are usually jobs going in our venues, Student Centre and in the offices, but check out kclsu.org/workwithus to see what’s available.
You’ll find us on campus, online and we always want to hear from you!
KCLSU President 2016/17