LGBT+ at King’s

Elana studies English Language and Literature BA and is from the USA.

King’s is an amazing place to be LGBT+! At King’s, you can be involved as much or as little in the LGBT+ scene as you want. If you want to get involved in LGBT+ issues and meet LGBT+ people, it is so easy and accessible. I’m gay myself, and I’ve found King’s to be a great place to spread my rainbow wings. Here’s a few good things to know about LGBT+ life at King’s!

LGBT+ Society:

The first port of call for all things rainbow at King’s is the LGBT+ society. I’ve been at King’s for three years now, and I only started getting involved this year—what a mistake! Since I started going to coffee socials, I’ve made so many new friends and found out about so many more opportunities. The society organises all sorts of events! There are super casual ones like the coffee socials (which happen most weeks, and could be general LGBT+, bi+ or trans specific), cupcake parties, film screenings, or painting (among many more). There are also lots of discussion groups or talks you can go to. And of course, there are lots of nights out catered to different tastes. Many times, the society will collaborate with other societies for an event—at the beginning of this year, KCL LGBT+ teamed up with DanceSoc to host a huge Glitter Ball! 😀 If you’re not yet ‘out’, you can still go to the events, there won’t be a massive rainbow flag or anything like that, just a group of people hanging out. Have a look at the LGBT+ facebook page – KCL LGBT+. Everyone involved is genuinely so helpful and kind, and I’ve found it to be a really welcoming society.

Just Like Us:

Through LGBT+ society, I found out about an amazing organisation called ‘Just Like Us’ where you become an ambassador and speak to students in secondary school about being LGBT+ and how to prevent bullying. I joined and received training with the law firm Baker McKenzie on public speaking and have begun giving talks. It’s been an incredible experience, and I only wish it had existed when I was younger. ‘Just Like Us’ is just one example of the many ways you can get involved in LGBT+ related volunteering.

The City:

When it comes to being LGBT+ in London, the opportunities are boundless. It’s such a diverse and accepting city, that walking around, it sometimes seems like being LGBT+ is the norm! There are so many gay bars and nightclubs, and anywhere you go will be completely welcoming. Also, London Pride is massive and amazing.

General Campus Life:

King’s is a place where being LGBT+ is no big deal. You can casually ‘out’ yourself in a conversation with anyone (even, in my experience, in seminars) without anyone flinching or commenting. It is just a part of you, and people are happy to know that and carry on with life. I’ve now had three different sets of flatmates in my time at King’s and with all of them I felt welcome, none of them has minded in the least or treated me any differently than anyone else. That said, there’s no pressure to come out—you can wait until you’re ready, and that will be completely fine.

At King’s you can be whoever you want to be, and express your rainbow-ness as much or as little as you want, and no matter what, you will be accepted and loved for who you are! Feel free to get in contact if you have any questions or worries you can contact me at arts-student@kcl.ac.uk, or via the Facebook page:

Peace, love, and rainbows!

Elana 🙂