Lesser Known London: So, you’re living in Stratford…

KCL student ambassador
Kimberly Leow, student ambassador

Kimberly Leow, 2nd year Digital Culture BA student, shares her top 5 places in Stratford:

Having lived in Stratford One in my first year, Stratford was my first home in London and even though I’ve moved out this year, I still find myself going back to visit the lively area from time to time because of the fond memories I have of the area. I’m excited to share my top 5 favourite places around Stratford, hopefully it’ll inspire a visit or give any current Stratford residents some ideas on what to do around the area.

Westfield Stratford City

The reason most people go to Stratford – for the world of shopping, food, and entertainment known as Westfield. This place beats your regular mall by a mile – it houses 2 food courts, a bowling alley, Vue cinemas, and even a casino where I once blew £10 (would still recommend going for the experience).

Westfield Stratford City
Westfield Stratford City

Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park

As Stratford hosted the London Olympics in 2012, the Olympic Park was built together with various sports activity venues such as the London Aquatics Centre (where Tom Daley did his training!) and the West Ham stadium. The park itself is a great place to go for a walk or a jog as well.

Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park

East Village

I’d say East Village is my ideal future home if I were to settle down in London in the future. This area consists of a number of new and modern flats, and has everything you need – a gym, Sainsbury’s Local, and various restaurants and shops. My favourite part of East Village is the stretch of cafes along a small river including Hands Café, Signorelli Bakery & Café, and Tina We Salute You; perfect places to catch up on work while having a cup of coffee and treating yourself to brunch.

Tina We Salute You, East Village
Tina We Salute You, East Village

Roof East

In terms of entertainment, Roof East is the place to go when you want to relax and unwind. Dubbed as the “playground for grown-ups”, Roof East sits on the roof of Stratford Shopping Centre, consisting of a bar, a range of different mini games, and even an outdoor cinema.

Roof East
Roof East

Crate Brewery and Pizzeria

I’m especially fond of this place – just across the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park is this lovely hidden spot by the canal near Hackney Wick. During the warmer months, they even bring out a boat which you can sit in and enjoy some cocktails and pizzas. The perfect spot for a relaxed evening with friends or even a romantic date night!

Crate Brewery and Pizzeria
Crate Brewery and Pizzeria

Find out more about our Digital Culture BA

Read our Lesser Known London: So, you’re living in Camberwell…