Career options when you study French and English at university

Rhiannon - BA English & French
Rhiannon - BA English & French

Hi, I’m Rhiannon and I’m studying French with English BA at King’s College London. I’m going to tell you a little more about my career aspirations.

After an arts and humanities degree, you will find yourself with plenty of key transferable skills which will allow you to launch your career in many different industries, from teaching to marketing, law and journalism, leaving you free to follow the path which best suits you.

I aspire to become a journalist and write for a fashion or lifestyle magazine. My greatest inspiration is Farrah Storr, a former King’s student who also read French with English. She is now editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan and has written her own book.

I have also considered going into publishing, editorial, marketing and teaching. The transferable skills acquired during a humanities degree lead to endless opportunities. A course friend of mine wishes to put her language skills to practise by working for a bank! I have found that applying for an internship or work experience is the best way to have an insight into a possible career. I am currently writing for a lifestyle magazine, which has given me the opportunity to publish my own articles. I might not end up being a journalist, but it is reassuring to know that there are so many career routes available to me.

King's alumna Rachel Edwards
King’s alumna Rachel Edwards

King’s College London are also very pleased to announce that alumna Rachel Edwards has launched her critically acclaimed debut novel ‘Darling’. Rachel was a student at King’s from 1992 to 1996 and read French with English.

She says she’s ‘overjoyed that her debut novel has been published’ and has found the experience of being a published author ‘truly exhilarating and at first a touch surreal’ as she’s dreamed of it since childhood. ‘Darling’ was conceived from the day of the Brexit vote, and the book explores the deep tension and trickiness that comes from the lives of Darling, a black British woman, and her white stepdaughter, Lola, colliding.

Order your copy here 👉 https://www.racheledwards.com/book/

Or read more:  https://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/english/newsrecords/2018/king’s-alumna-rachel-edwards-has-her-debut-novel-published.aspx