Welcome to our newest ecologist at King’s Water Hub

I’m Josh Brian, a postdoctoral research associate working on plant invasions in the Physical and Environmental Geography Research Group, as part of Dr. Jane Catford’s AlienImpacts team. I previously completed my PhD on freshwater mussels at the University of Cambridge and hold a strong and ongoing interest in aquatic ecosystem ecology and community ecology in both aquatic and terrestrial environments.

More specifically, I am interested in antagonistic interactions (e.g. plant-herbivore or host-pathogen) and biological invasions and how these processes operate at various ecological scales to impact the wider community and ecosystem dynamics. While my present work will focus more on terrestrial ecosystems, many ecological processes are widely applicable across study systems. The differences between aquatic and terrestrial environments can encourage critical consideration of essential concepts, such as dispersal. 

As such, I am excited to be a member of the King’s Water Hub to ‘keep my toes in the water’, contribute knowledge where appropriate, and encourage cross-system engagement!

Want to see more from Josh? Be sure to follow his personal Twitter @JoshBrian19 and King’s Water @KingsWaterKCL for more updates on his work with the hub!