Online social events to help residents socialise at a safe distance. Join us on the ResiLife chat page for daily updates.
Post contributed by CF Jacky
Did you know that you get a free King’s Sports BeActive membership when you live in King’s residences?
BeActive has over 50 classes a
week from football to Pilates. These events take place in your residences or campus so that they are very accessible to students. There are also Move Your Mind Online events so you can join in even if you are self-isolating!
I participated in a yoga session in the residence I live in (JM). Yoga is a very relaxing thing to do when you’re stressed because of university or just life in general, and it’s amazing t
o have someone teach you how to do it properly. Yoga is an ancient form of exercise, which is recommended by many healthcare services to promote wellbeing, both for the mind and body. You don’t have to have had any practice doing yoga before as the instructors will help teach you as a beginner, or if you are more advanced they will give you modifications so you can keep challenging yourself.
Another perk of the session was that I got the opportunity to meet people responsibly, while following the social distancing rules because of COVID-19. I’d recommend the BeActive program to all students and to really make the most out of it because it’s fun, easy, and free!
To activate your free account please click HERE and entering your King’s email address. After your account is activated you can access the Beactive, Move Your Mind Online and Resilife timetables and book spaces on the events.
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dutch cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- Oat Milk
Vegan Alternative Links:
Step 1: Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking powder in a bowl.
Step 2: Make a well in the centre and add the egg, milk and oil. Use a whisk or a spatula to beat until combined.
Step 3: Spoon into a 400ml mug or whatever size is available to you this size I have just found works best.
Step 4: Spoon the Nutella into the centre. Microwave 70 seconds or until risen.
Top with double cream or ice-cream and dress with some fruits!
Vegan Brownies Recipe – Nora Cooks
- 4 Tbsp Ground Flax
- ½ Cup water
- ½ Cup Vegan Butter
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Flour
- Prep a pan by placing baking paper into it and set to the side
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Make the flax eggs by stirring together the ground flax and water. Set aside to thicken
- Melt the vegan butter and measure 1/2 cup either in a saucepan which is quick or in 20 second intervals in the microwave
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted vegan butter and sugars together. Add the flax eggs and vanilla. Whisk until combined and smooth
- Into the same bowl, sift flour and cocoa powder. Add a pinch of salt and baking powder and combine simply with a spatula
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top with a spoon or your hands
- Bake for 35-40 minutes
- Allow to cool for around 15 minutes and this usually allows them also to firm up
- Remove from the pan let cool for another 15 minutes before slicing them and serving
- Brownie Batter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup flour
- Cheese Layer
- 225g cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Line a baking tin with baking paper
- Melt the butter down either in a saucepan or in the microwave in 30 second intervals
- Add in the cocoa powder and mix together
- Add sugar and whisk until combined. Add the eggs, vanilla extract and combine them into the mixture
- Add flour and fold, using a rubber spatula, just until combined. Set aside 1/3 cup of the batter and pour the rest into the prepared pan. Smooth the top
- Beat together the cream cheese and the sugar until a smooth paste forms
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined
- Dollop onto the brownie batter then take the reserved brownie batter and dollop that on top of the cheese
- Using a fork or a toothpick swirl the two together to create a marbled effect
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cheesecake is set and an instrument inserted into the brownies comes out with just moist crumbs and not batter. It should not be dry
- Allow the cheesecake to set and cool down completely
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days
- For a Gluten Free version simply purchase gluten free flour!
*This article was written prior to COVID-19 restrictions*
Are you ready for move-in day?
It’s so close now, you can almost smell it!
I’m Lukas, a second year Business student at King’s. Last year, I moved into King’s Residences, which meant moving away from home for the first time, so trust me, I know exactly how excited, nervous and maybe even a little bit apprehensive you’re feeling right now. Continue reading
Your Wellbeing Break Space During Exam Time!
Don’t forget we also have extra events happening in Residences too!
Your Community Facilitators will be hosting activities in your common room or courtyards (weather permitting) – so join them and give yourself a well-earned break!
Activities are free to attend – Just turn up and enjoy! Please note booking is required for Cooking & Conversation sessions.
See the schedules below or click here.
This week is Sustainability Week 2019 and this year’s theme #MakeADifference is empowering you to make small changes with a big impact to try and make the world a better place.
Sustainability Week 2019 takes place from the 11th – 15th February, with loads of activities happening across campus and in residences including clothing and book swaps, zero-waste beauty workshops, wellbeing sessions, biodiversity walks and film screenings.
Check out the timetable here and look out for posters and info on our socials for activities hosted by your Community Facilitators (CF) and Residence Assistants (RA).
Tired of your regular weekly routine? Not sure what’s going on over the upcoming week? Below are a few activities happening over the next week that we thought were interesting.
All To Play- V&A Late
If you’re a gamer or want to know what all the fuss is about this free event might be of interest to you. Find out what the future of gaming looks like and play newly commissioned video games. You can even try your hand at designing your own.
ResiLife Welcome Back Silent Disco
If you live in any of our 13 residences join us at Guys Bar for our welcome back disco. Flip through channels of music ranging from classic disco to house music, you’ll be sure to find something you can boogie to. There will be a glitter station and photo booth for you to indulge in and as well as a complimentary drink. Get your ticket via the link below.
MMT Presents: Footloose the Musical
Cut Loose and enjoy this classic Rock and Roll musical for an early weekend treat at The Greenwood Theatre. Follow the story of a teenager who moves to a small midwestern town only to discover dancing and rock music is banned. Ren McCormack tries to fit in but just can’t seem to resist breaking the rules. An uplifting and fun show brought to you by MSA Musical Theatre.
Comment below and share with us any interesting events you’re going to this coming week.
Words By Keira ResiLife
Photo – Shutterstock
It is quite common to feel a bit down in January. The festivities are over, the decorations are taken down, and it’s back to reality. For some of you, it has been full on with exams and deadlines. There is a particular day of the month considered the most depressing and unsurprisingly, it’s a Monday. Boo.
Dubbed ‘Blue Monday,’ it typically falls on the third Monday of the year. This year January 21st bears the brunt of this dreaded title.
The concept was first publicised as part of a 2005 press release from holiday company Sky Travel. Dr Cliff Arnall claimed that due to some factors including weather, debt and time since Christmas, ‘scientifically’ this time of year is quite depressing for us in the northern hemisphere. He even came up with a formula to calculate the date. Since then, this January Monday has been lumbered with negative and miserable connotations.
However, In a recent interview for the Independent Dr Arnall has said that it was not his intention to make this a negative day but in fact to ‘ encourage people, where possible, to take a positive outlook on the time of year as an opportunity for new beginnings and change.’
So we are taking back our Mondays and making an intentional effort to make the 21st January the best Monday of the year so far!
Here are our five ways to beat the Monday Blues:
1. Express Gratitude
Starting your day by listing the things you are grateful for is quite literally one of the best ways you can start any day. Doing this first thing on a Monday morning will remind you of all of the great things in your life and give you a whole bunch of reasons to get on with your day.
2. Get moving in the sunlight
Natural sunlight increases our Vitamin D level which in turn boosts serotonin. So why not go for a lunchtime stroll to soak up some of those sun rays and boost endorphins? Leaving you feeling calmer and happier.
Check out what sports activities are happening on the BeActive Timetable.
3. Watch your favourite film
Give yourself something to look forward to at the end of your day by planning an evening snuggled up with your favourite blanket and your favourite movie. You could even invite some of the other students living in your residence to join you. Lose yourself in the story of some of your favourite characters.
4.Sing The Blues Away with KCL ResiLife
Singing in a group can be a great way to reduce stress. Along with the socialising aspect, singing has been known to lower blood pressure due to specific breathing techniques similar to yoga methods. So why not spend your evening destressing by singing some of our favourite uplifting songs.
5. Burgers and Board Games KCLSU events
Get to know some new people and eat some good food to start your week off right. Head over to Guys Bar from 5 pm every Monday for their Burgers and Board Games event. Play any of their board games, and the winner gets a free Pint! (T&C’s applied! One Pint per game/hour).
So whatever you choose to do today, make this Monday a happy Monday!
Words by Keira ResiLife