My First Steps: Rosanna, Civil Service Finance Fast Streamer

For the latest in our My First Steps series, we’ve got Rosanna, a recent graduate from the Political Economy department talking about what working life in the Civil Service Fast stream consists of…..

Getting to work between 9:00 to 9:30am (tube traffic depending!), the first thing to do is grab a coffee and check emails to see if anything urgent has come in. The world of finance moves quickly and deadlines can come up very sharply if you’re not careful. I’m currently posted to the Ministry of Justice, where I work on a change programme. The programme is looking at how we can optimise and modernise our way of working in finance, and, being at the centre of an ambitious government project, at the heart of Westminster, is as exciting as it is hard work.

Luckily my colleagues are all friendly, enthusiastic and collaborative. On Mondays and Fridays we have a short team brief – twelve minutes at midday, or the 12@12 – to discuss our priorities for the week as well as any successes or challenges we’ve had. Otherwise, my days are rarely spent doing the same thing: the morning might be taken up by a process workshop I’m hosting, or writing up designs for what finance teams will look like in the future, or discussing our next steps for the programme’s engagement plan.

For lunch I like to meet with other Fast Streamers in the department and get of out the office. With St James’s Park on your doorstep, there’s really no excuse not to go for walk and take in the views of Buckingham Palace, Horse Guards Parade and more. The department also often hosts ‘Lunch and Learns’, where a team will present what they do and why their work is important. It’s a great way to get to know your department and the bigger picture of what you do.

Back at work, the afternoon might focus on some corporate activity; for me, this involved raising money and volunteering at a homeless shelter with a team of other Fast Streamers. I could be heading out the office, for example to attend a Public Accounts Committee meeting at the Houses of Parliament, or maybe just onto another floor, such as when the Secretary of State addresses all staff in the atrium. The week usually finishes off with a one-to-one meeting with my activity manager, where we discuss my progress so far and where I’d like to develop new skills and make the most of new opportunities. I’m out by 5:30pm, ready for it all again tomorrow.

Of course, some days I’m not in the office at all, whether that’s because I’m on a course preparing for my accountancy exams or simply working from home. That’s the best thing about the Fast Stream – no two days are the same. I graduated from King’s College prior to joining the scheme, with a Master’s in International Political Economy. It goes without saying that the analytical, communication and critical thinking skills I acquired during my studies have proved an asset when it comes to working in the Civil Service.

If this sounds like the kind of career you’re looking for, you can find out more about the Civil Service Fast Stream here.