My First Steps: Jen Billot, OPEN Health

Jen Billot graduated in 2016 with a BSc in Biomedical Sciences. As part of this blog series Jen has shared her own experiences from the working world and how a graduate scheme can open doors to different opportunities.….

Venturing into the working world after graduating can be daunting, especially when you have no idea where your interests lie. Commence panic mode and a sudden internship at the Royal Academy of Engineering, something that I thought I had no interest in. But think, what do artificial intelligence, nuclear power, pharmaceuticals…even the chair you’re sitting on all have in common? Engineering.

After working on the Sensodyne manufacturing line and big data with TFL and GSK, I started to consider the world of pharmaceuticals. Interviews and assessment days at Pfizer, GSK and Merck & co followed, only for me to hit a brick wall. After a day or two of feeling sorry for myself, I picked myself up and came across OPEN Health, an agency that works with big pharmaceutical companies on market access, digital technology, real world data (stage three/four clinical trials), medical communications…the list goes on!

I’m currently on OPEN Health’s graduate programme, where I have just finished 9 months in market access, working on over 12 different drugs for cancer, multiple sclerosis, multiple myeloma, anaesthetic devices, ophthalmology, heart failure, opioid dependence and anal irrigation (yes, let’s skip over that one….) I’m due to start another 9 months in real world data in the next few weeks before settling down into a permanent role.

It’s fair to say that no day is the same, every day is a challenge and the fast pace can be exhausting, but I’ve looked forward to all (okay most) Mondays and it’s pretty cool to say that I help to open the door to innovative drugs and devices both in the UK and abroad.

We hope you enjoyed Jen’s story! Interested in sharing your experience and blogging for King’s Careers & Employability? We‘re looking to hear more from you! Email Careers-marketing@kcl.ac.uk with “Student Blogs” in subject line.