My First Steps: Isabel Woodford, MPhil Candidate, University of Oxford & Vacation Scheme Intern, Cleary Gottlieb

Isabel Woodford is a MPhil candidate currently completing her Masters in the Department of International Development at the University of Oxford, after completing a BA in War Studies from King’s. While not being a law graduate, Isabel still secured a Vacation Scheme and Training Contract with an international law firm while at Oxford. How did she do this? Read on to find out more!

After graduating from Kings in July 2016, I was thrilled to hear that Careers & Employability would continue to support me as an alumnus and into my post-graduate life. I had an interview for a Vacation Scheme at Cleary Gottlieb in November and wanted some prep (and a pep talk!) Careers & Employability efficiently organised a video interview session with me as I was based remotely, and for an hour Kiren and I discussed some possible interview questions and did a practice session. Incredibly, the questions he posed were not far off the ones that came up in the real thing! (Editor’s note – that is what we try to do!)

I ended up getting the vac scheme place, and later a job offer at the firm. I have no doubt that the confidence and preparation that speaking to Kiren gave me played a huge part in my success in my time with them.

I actually think it’s really important to take a few months out after graduating to think about what you really want to do if you’re unsure about what you want to do. Finding yourself and then taking real care and time on your applications makes a big difference. Don’t panic, and keep developing yourself professionally and personally.

Now, I am graduating from Oxford having completed a two years Masters. I haven’t decided my final route, but it’s great to have a job offer under my belt!

I am so grateful for Careers & Employability’s support, and couldn’t recommend their services enough!

We hope you enjoyed Isabel’s story! To learn more about law related careers, you can take a look at our Law Careers page on KEATS which is jam-packed with useful resources. We also have two Careers Consultants who specialise in working with students from the Dickson Poon School of Law!
Want to find out more about what we’re hoping to achieve with this series? Read Seyran’s introductory blog post here.