JUST DO IT.

Are you confused about your career options once your sweet student life comes to an end? Do you feel pressured to decide on your career path already when you only have a vague idea of what your options even are?

King’s Careers and Employability is (as always) here to help you out with individually tailored Career Guidance discussions. These are 20 minutes long 1:1 meetings with a Career Consultant where, after sharing your situation, interest and aspirations, you can get advice and help with moving towards your future career.

As a student I too am on a quest to learn more about what a career in the field I am interested in would involve, and decided to take the plunge and book an appointment for myself!

I honestly did not know what to expect from the session, a feeling I am sure many students can relate to. Will the Career Consultant tell me to just make up my mind and pick something already? Am I going to be even more confused by the end? Is it going to be structured like a daunting interview with obscure questions about my passion in life???

The good news is, about two seconds into the appointment I realized that all these worries were unfounded, and I left Macadam Building with a lot more knowledge and confidence about my future.

The meeting started out with a simple and friendly question from Helen, my lovely Career Consultant: What can I help you with? Starting out in such an open way allowed me to share all that personally worried and confused me about the career planning process. Helen then gave me detailed, practical advice on how I could find out more about the specific area I was interested in. I particularly appreciated that she was so understanding of the confusing situation many students find themselves in regarding their careers, and that her advice was so impartial, tailored to my aspirations and realistic, with nothing requiring impossible feats or days of work. She also offered to put me in contact with King’s alumni working in the field I am interested in, providing an incredible opportunity to gain insight and gather impartial information about employers.

My career consultation appointment gave me an opportunity to share my career related aspirations, ideas and questions with a professional who had a breath of knowledge and experience in the field. It can be daunting at first, to face the unexpected, and that’s one of the reasons I wrote this blog – to dispel any fears you might have and to encourage you book! Whether it’s an Application Advice appointment to get your CV checked, a careers consultant appointment to help figure out a plan of action or even a practice interview prior to the real deal – get booking and start career planning!

To book an appointment visit https://kcl.targetconnect.net/home.html and log in using your King’s ID number & password. You’ll then be able to access event, job listings and also book appointments. These appointments are only bookable on the same day & we start booking at 7AM. They are filled within a few minutes, and are very popular so we recommend booking your appointment on the site at 7AM. 

Written by Zsofia Menyhei, Second year student studying Law and Marketing Assistant in Careers & Employability.