King’s Careers & Employability is happy to announce that Careers+, our exclusive programme of additional careers related activities and support, is finally up and running! But what exactly is Careers+ meant to do and how do I know if I’m eligible? Continue reading to find out…
What is Careers+?
Careers+ is tailored to UK undergraduate students from underrepresented groups who are currently studying or who have graduated from King’s within the last two years. The programme was established to address the particular needs of the students from these groups, supporting them to achieve lifelong success.
What will I get with Careers+?
If you sign up to Careers+ you will get:
- Longer Careers Guidance appointments including via Skype and phone (30 minutes)
- Advance booking for Careers Guidance appointments (two weeks in advance)
- Exclusive internship opportunities
- Termly newsletters
- Drop in sessions with a Careers Consultant
- Exclusive workshops (including online sessions)
Am I eligible for Careers+?
To be eligible to apply for Careers+ you need to be an undergraduate, home-fee paying student. You will also need to meet one or more of the following criteria:
- In receipt of the King’s Living Bursary
- Care experienced, young carer, estranged student or forced migrant
- None of your parents/carers attended university
- Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic student (BAME)
- Disabled student
- From a Gypsy, Roma or Traveller heritage
- Mature learner doing a first degree
- Taken part in Realising Opportunities, K+, or a Sutton Trust Summer School
- Holder of the Sanctuary Scholarship/Jesus the Light Sanctuary Scholarship
- On the Extended Medical Degree Programme or the Enhanced Support Dentistry Programme
- In receipt of a means-tested NHS bursary
How can I apply?
Apply to Careers+ by completing the registration form on King’s CareerConnect. You’ll find the registration form in the ‘forms’ section at the bottom of your King’s CareerConnect homepage. You will not be able to see Careers+ specific activities and events unless you have registered.
For information about careers support for students with disabilities you can also visit this website.
Careers+ Global Internship
The King’s Internships team, as part of Careers+, have designed a new exclusive internship scheme for students from underrepresented groups. This scheme aims to support you while you gain vital international experience. The Careers+ Global Internship is a fully-funded and supported 6-month scheme which is intended to provide you with the knowledge, skills and experience required to help you secure a job in the workplace.
The scheme consists of:
🔹 a series of workshops
🔹 one-to-one support
🔹 a paid 1-week micro-internship in London
🔹 an all-expenses paid 4-week internship in Hong Kong