3 reasons why you should become a Student Money Mentor

Do you know who the Student Money Mentors are or what they do? Today the King’s Careers Blog has been visited by Claire Dewshi, a King’s student with a passion for helping her peers become as money savvy as possible. Claire is here to tell you why YOU should become a King’s Student Money Mentor

It may be scary to think about your future career, especially if you have only just started at King’s, but time will fly by so it’s never too early to think ahead.

I have been a Student Money Mentor (for KCL Student Services) for 4 years now and as my time at King’s draws to a close, I have to say it has been one of the best things I could do alongside my degree.

Working for King’s is enjoyable, the environment is supportive, and all the staff and students are friendly and welcoming. Trust me, I’ve worked for other companies outside of King’s and none of them have been as great an employer as KCL (apart from when I was self-employed :D).

I could not recommend it enough, but if you are still on the fence about it, here are 3 reasons why you should become a Money Mentor.

1. New skills

Everyone says this, but clichés are true. Working for Student Services has developed my skills in interacting with people, presenting to large audiences and thinking innovatively when planning new strategies. Unlike in high school where teachers pull the strings in most ‘student led’ organisations, at King’s they really do value your opinion. They understand that you are the student body and the programmes should be tailored for you.

It’s also rewarding to see your ideas put into practice and even be implemented year on year. King’s is always changing, and you can be part of that change.

It’s taught me how to prioritize and manage my time accordingly, and how to work efficiently to get everything done. Juggling work and study can be daunting at first but having a job on the side forces you to become more organised. After you graduate from King’s you may have more than one supervisor, and be asked to do a lot of things in one go (everyone wants to use the new graduate, that’s just how it works) so working while studying gets you ready for increased level of responsibility.

2. It’s fun!

Working as a Money Mentor has given me opportunities to work with children and teenagers, and even join in on some of their activities (like trips up the Shard). It’s allowed me to write blogs and articles, help at Open Days welcoming the new fresh-faced students into King’s, and impart advice which I wish I received 5 years ago.

Especially at these Open Days, you can see the real impact of your work, since students want to talk to us about uni experience since we’re the ones living it. Parents are also interested in the practical side of things; of how we cope with finding accommodation, living expenses and the logistics of moving to London. First hand advice was what I would have wanted when I was a terrified 17 year old, so anything I can do to make them a little less scared is worthwhile.

3. Meet new people

As a student at Guy’s, I hardly every go down to Stand campus. In fact, the first time I was given a shift there, I had to go ten minutes early just to find which room I was supposed to be in. King’s is huge and that obviously has its advantages, but sometimes it is hard to make meaningful connections with students from other departments.

In Student Services, mentors come from all courses and it gives you the opportunity to talk about a variety of things other than that assignment which is due in tomorrow. It’s also great to see how other student’s own experience change their outlook on money matters (and life in general). Working for King’s has really opened my eyes and given me opportunities to see things from different perspectives.

Basically, if in doubt, go for it! I can only fit three reasons into this article, but there are many more. If you want to speak to me or any other Money Mentor directly, we’d be delighted to answer any of your questions.

King’s Careers and Employability are also great in pointing you in the right direction for additional work and internships. They are always happy to answer questions or give you one-to-one support if you need it. If there is one thing I have learnt, it’s that you should take all opportunities thrown at you as you never know where it will take you.

Huge thanks to Claire for sharing her Student Money Mentor experience with us!