Why I chose to study in the MA Theatre, Performance and Critical Culture

Since I first started university and became accustomed with the field of Theatre Studies, I knew that, once my BA was completed, I would study in the MA Theatre, Performance and Critical Culture at King’s – which, at the time, was still called Theatre and Performance Studies. The main reasons why I knew I wanted to apply for this MA (and why I would do so again) were:

• Location: London is the perfect city for international theatre scholars and artists, and King’s is right at the heart of it. Not only is the university situated right next to the West End theatre district, but amazing resources like the National Theatre Archive and the V&A Theatre and Performance Collection are only a few stops away. When I decided that I wanted to commit to studying and working in the arts long-term, I knew this would be where I wanted to live and study.
  • Practice and Theory: What makes this Theatre MA unique compared to those offered by many other universities (even within London) is that it offers a mix of practical and theoretical optional modules, so that students from a variety of study backgrounds (including more practical ones, like directing) are able to choose the study path that will let them realise their potential to the fullest. When I chose my MA, I wanted to give myself the opportunity to try out as much as possible, without being locked into a purely practical or theoretical course. This also means that classes are comprised of students from all kinds of backgrounds, which makes in-class discussions more fun and engaging!
  • Topic Range: There are a wide range of optional modules available on a variety of topics in the MA. As a former Early Modern drama enthusiast during my undergraduate studies, I knew that King’s would allow me to continue my previous academic trajectory in my postgraduate degree, and maybe also let me delve into a few other subjects I was also interested in. What I was happily surprised to find, is that King’s has not only given me the opportunity to follow my personal interests, but also encouraged me to explore theatre and performance outside of my comfort zone. Whether you already know exactly what you want your specialised focus to be on, or want to explore as many different theatre-related topics as possible, both options and anything in between are encouraged and supported in this MA.

For me, this MA was the perfect choice for what I wanted to get out of my postgraduate studies. If anything I have mentioned here has made you interested to learn more about his course, check out the resources below:

Written by Paula Kramer, Theatre, Performance and Critical Culture