What I wish people knew about a Comparative Literature Degree

row of books

When I first looked into a degree in Comparative Literature, I had so many questions as to what made a comparative study of literature different from other degrees in languages and literatures. Now, after almost 2 years, I’m confident to say that I was pleasantly surprised by what studying a Comparative Literature degree at King’s entails. With the knowledge and experience I have now, here’s what I wish people knew about a Comparative Literature degree.

1. What is Comparative Literature

One of the most frequent questions I get asked whenever I tell someone I am studying Comparative Literature is: “What is Comparative Literature?” Simply put, comparative literature could be seen as global literature, unrestricted by space and even time. This method of studying literature allows students to look at texts, art, film and music, across different cultures, ages and perspectives. Therefore, a defining characteristic of this degree is the range of things you get to study, making it a really useful framework for studying literary text.

1. What skills do you get out of it

A concern I used to have when looking at such a large variety of texts is whether I’d be equipped to tackle such vastly different material each week. However, as I progressed through each module, I found myself learning and practising new skills that helped me tackle each week. While obvious skills like comprehensive reading, critical thinking, and summarising are par for the course, a surprising skill that I’ve picked up is the ability to view things from a wide range of contradictory perspectives. Most weeks have students reading opposing political and ideological stances, and being able to understand opinions that you don’t agree with is a crucial skill to build

1. What the community is like

The global aspect of studying Comparative Literature is similarly reflected in its student body, with classrooms typically populated by people from all over the world. As such, not only does this degree allow you to expand your understanding of texts from across the globe but it also gives students opportunities to discuss them with people who can offer more intimate perspectives not achieved from distant reading. While all the material is translated into English, the department also encourages the reading of texts in their original language and even provides language modules for students who are interested in learning a new language. This translates onto our faculty as well and with new people joining the department each year, you’ll always be able to find someone to discuss your ideas with.

While this is just a brief overview about what I wish I knew before starting my degree in Comparative Literature, I believe that this degree is immensely valuable for people like me who are interested in understanding cultures. Now when someone asks what my Comparative Literature degree has given me, I can confidently say that this global discipline has equipped me with the skills and support to understand the world from multiple new and interesting perspectives.

Written by Shea Yeoh, 2nd Year Comparative Literature with Film Studies