Nurturing a Passion : From Ecocriticism to Critical Theory

In the labyrinth of university courses, where choices and academic paths intersect, many students find themselves embarking on a journey of self-discovery. It’s a common tale – one of uncertainty, exploration, and the gradual unveiling of passions that often lie undiscovered. My own journey is no exception, as my undergraduate years in English literature led me to my fascination for ecocriticism.

University, for most, is a time of academic exploration – a period where we navigate through numerous modules, hoping to uncover areas of studies that truly resonate with our intellectual cores. During my undergraduate years, the exploration of literature led me to questions, uncertainties, and personal predicaments where the diverse landscape of literature was so vast, I found myself lost – who was I? It was during my second year, where literature took an unexpected turn into ecocriticism – a branch of literature theory that examines the relationship between literature and the natural world. The more I immersed myself in the works of eco-conscious authors and the critical discourse,  I realised I positioned myself within literature that evoked an understanding of environmental issues. Little did I know that this exploration would sow seeds of passion that would blossom into a postgraduate journey into Critical Theory.

As I navigated the complex landscapes of environmental literature, I appreciated the border implications of literary analysis. It became clear that understanding the intricate dynamics between humanity and nature requires a multidisciplinary approach – one that goes beyond traditional literary studies. This realisation transcended the boundaries of my undergraduate dissertation, becoming a driving force that fuelled my desire to explore ecocriticism more profoundly. It was during this journey that I found myself immersed in extensive research about Critical Theory at King’s College London. I was captivated by the institution’s reputation for intellectual exploration and positioned myself with modules centered on environmental humanities, eco-cinema, and other critical theories. Choosing to pursue a postgraduate course in Critical Theory was a natural progression for me. This academic journey allows me to engage with diverse perspectives, theories, and methodologies that transcend the boundaries of a single discipline. Critical Theory, with its emphasis on deconstructing power structures and questioning societal norms, provides the perfect framework for exploring the complexities of human-nature relationships.

In essence, my journey into ecocriticism has been transformative, moulding not just my academic pursuits but fostering a sense of responsibility in me to contribute meaningfully to the ongoing discourse about our relationship with the environment.  As I embark on my postgraduate journey in Critical Theory, I carry with me the seeds of curiosity planted during my undergraduate exploration of ecocriticism. Today, I can proudly say I am a postgraduate student in Critical Theory, eagerly anticipating the unfolding chapter of my intellectual adventure. With each step forward, I aspire not only to understand but to craft my own narrative within the landscape of ecocriticism, and perhaps one day, my story will become a part of the vibrant tapestry that enriches this critical dialogue.

Written by Mekha Periakaruppan, Critical Theory MA