Here is why you should study abroad in Madrid, Spain

In the heart of Spain is located the country’s capital city, Madrid. A modern metropolitan city that invites foodies, art-lovers, football fanatics, and pretty much everyone to visit. Madrid deserves the title of the “heart of Spain” as despite its growing multiculturalism and tourist attraction, the city remains true to its culture and history that nobody can resist falling in love with, and which I certainly couldn’t on my year abroad. From the sun to siesta, I can name countless reasons to choose Madrid as your study abroad destination but here are some specific reasons why there is no other city in Spain that can come quite close.

Home to the Royal Family until 1931, the Royal Palace of Madrid is now open to the public and is a magnificent piece of architecture from the outside and the inside. Being a huge fan of the Islamic history of Spain and the nation’s relationship with sovereignty after the 36 year-long dictatorship under Franco, the history can be felt within the walls of the Palace, enriching the experience of walking through its magnificent rooms which are home to the armour and weaponry of the King of Spain as well as countless other historically significant artefacts.

As well as the beautiful Palace, one of my favourite spots in the city has to be Parque del Retiro. Yeah, Barcelona has a beach, but does it have a park with a lake in the middle that you can ride boats on? Because Parque del Retiro does! This park is one you will visit more times than you can count during your year abroad, I promise. With a stunning Crystal Palace, a Museum Exhibition, fountains, flowerbeds- it even has peacocks- a whole day can be spent at Retiro, basking in the sun.

Finally, Madrid’s location directly in the centre of Spain (fun fact: you can actually stand at the precise centre point in Sol) doubles as a hub for connectivity and allows you to travel all around Spain with ease, with most locations being a mere two-hour train away from the centre. Madrid’s incredible (and cheap!! TFL could never!!) transport links gave me the opportunity to travel to Toledo, Salamanca, Cordoba, Seville, Barcelona in my nine months there.

And one more thing. As a young Muslim woman, one thing I appreciate above all about Madrid is the level of safety I felt while being there. No matter how late or dark it was, the streets were never quiet, rather they were filled with families, and I have never felt safer as a solo traveller. I am beyond grateful for having had the Madrid experience and I wouldn’t change it for the world. ¡Viva Madrid!

Written by Sairah Butt, 2nd Year Modern Languages

2 Comments