My Summer School experience: Melissa

Every few weeks our blog will hear from former students who came to our Summer School. This week is Melissa, who attended Summer School not once but twice! Read what she has to say below…

‘The Summer School at King’s College London is the opportunity of a lifetime.  King’s reputation is second to none, complemented with the perfect location in central London. I was fortunate enough to participate in King’s Summer School for two summers, and both were amazing.

The first summer I took Shakespeare in London.  Coming from the United States, I was interested in seeing how different studying Shakespeare was in a city that had so many resources available to supplement the course. Visiting museums and theatres to watch a number of plays exceeded my expectations and brought an element to the study of Shakespeare that is not available anywhere else; it truly brought the content to life much more than sitting in a classroom and reading the plays from a book.

I returned the following summer to King’s Summer School to study Introduction to Human Resource Management.  Once again, King’s added a practical element, taking field trips to Harrods and Abercrombie & Fitch, which are quite distinct from stores in the United States.  I really enjoyed learning the theory in the classroom and then going out and seeing a practical application.

While spending time and learning in the classroom is important, the outside learning really sets King’s apart from other academic programmes.  Getting to meet people from so many different countries and learning about so many cultures that were different from mine was very interesting.  We also had Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays off from class, giving us time to explore London and other parts of Europe.  I loved taking tours to Stonehenge, Canterbury, Dover, and Paris over the weekends.

Whether you’re looking to get university credit at one of the top institutions in the world, meet people from all over the globe, or just simply live in one of the best cities in the world, King’s Summer School is definitely the place to be for an unforgettable summer!’

And you can watch a video of Melissa talking about her experiences here.