Post contributed by Madeline O. She is a postgraduate at King’s, studying Psychosis. 

King’s and Urbanest’s brand new residence as of 2018 is my favorite hall because of its central location, the quality and spaciousness of its common room, personal rooms, kitchens, the supportive staff, the programming and wellbeing promoted by Resilife and BeActive fitness instructors.

The common room which I shall classify as the “common floor” on the 31st floor is my favorite part of the building because of its views comparable to the Sky Garden, the plethora of surfaces and furniture for many different functions, an outside terrace, two t.v.s with playstation, and a ping pong table to boot. Resilife events are all hosted on this floor and usually get good turnout. Teatox on Tuesdays, Art Night on Thursdays, Saturday Night Ins, monthly events as well as BeActive exercise classes such as Swing Train and yoga were all located on the common floor. P.S. Urbanest hires appreciated cleaning staff after events, so the area is always clean the next morning.

My second favorite place is my room. While studios and ensuites are extremely spacious and convenient, in my opinion the best bargain is the private room because of the amount of space you get at the lowest price, the views, and you only have to share a bathroom with one person and get easy access to a second smaller kitchen.

The kitchens on every floor are one of the nicest parts of the building with brand new stoves, stone countertops, and my favorite part, a powerful dish washer. Request from your community facilitators to plan a Great Floor Bakeoff!

For studying, Vauxhall has a great study area on the first floor just minutes away versus the 30 minute bus ride to Maughan Library. You’ll find many small stalls where you can be work and be productive independently, as well as larger stalls where you can have group study. Sometimes this area can get a little noisy, and I resort to studying on the 31st. It’s my secret spot, don’t tell! Both Urbanest staff and the Resilife Vauxhall team (excluding myself) are the reasons why I and hopefully many students have enjoyed Vauxhall so much. My Urbanest staff went out of their way to address my needs regarding the building, but also to befriend me and all the residents. Both Resilife and Urbanest put on great parties and events, so there is always something going on in the residence. As a mental health masters student, it is important for me to mention the wardens. I can say from personal experience, they are approachable, confidential, and a way for you to get immediate help for your mental health and wellbeing.

Vauxhall is a thriving city and one of best choices for you if you have classes on multiple campuses due to its ease of transportation and centrality. As applicable to its name, Vauxhall means “large railway station”. It is home of the British car company, Vauxhall Motors, the legendary Pleasure Gardens, and now a thriving LGBTQA community.

There are so many things to do in Vauxhall including spending time in its two parks, rock climbing, attending shows at the fringe theatre Above the Stag, going clubbing, and hanging out at bars, and eating at  a diverse arrangement of restaurants.

My favorite past-time in Vauxhall is to visit the Vauxhall City farm located in Vauxhall’s Pleasure Garden. It is a charitable organization that teaches youth about animal care and horticulture as well as riding lessons for the disabled. The farm has horses, donkeys, llamas, sheep, goats, rabbits, chicken, turkeys, birds, chinchillas, ferrets, and a turtle, as well as a garden active during the summer. Best part is you can feed the animals! Great Restaurants are right outside your Vauxhall residence. There are Ethiopian, Indian, one Italian Deli, Latin American restaurants, you name it. My all-time favorite restaurant in Vauxhall is the Tea House Theatre located in the Pleasure Gardens. Here you can have the proper high tea experience for a very reasonable price (high tea for two at £25).  However, for dinner, I highly recommend the Tia Maria Kitchen if you enjoy good Brazilian dishes and clubbing on Friday and Saturdays. Every Friday there is a latin dance class for £5.

Grocery shopping has never been easier. There is a Sainsbury’s about 3 minutes from the residence. Inside Sainsbury’s is a Argos to buy any dorm supplies you might need, and a Starbucks if you miss it from home. If you tube more, a small Tesco is right next to the tube exit. If you bus, the local Waitrose or Sainsbury’s is a stop away. There are so many options at Vauxhall to exercise. Next door at Atlas, is the Vauxhall Leisure Center which has a large variety of exercise classes, a pool and sauna, and more. However, I have been really happy with the cheaper option of the BeActive program by King’s College covered in the accommodation’s cost, which on certain days of the week will offer certain exercise classes on the 31st floor for. In 2018-2019, Swing Train and yoga were offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If exercise classes are not your thing, and you like self-directed running, the Vauxhall Park or Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens have great running tracks and beautiful scenery.

As you can see, you don’t have to go very far to live and thrive while attending courses at King’s! Have I convinced you to stay at Vauxhall residence?