Our best bits from our time at King’s

That’s it, we are packing up the kettle and saying goodbye to King’s. This is our last blog of the year so thought we would do a roundup of our best bits from our time at King’s and some lessons we have learnt.

Val

My time at King’s has definitely been one of the most interesting few years. I look back at how I’ve changed, and sometimes I don’t think I really have. But there are so many things now that I feel more comfortable doing than before – and I think that’s what counts. Now as I’m packing up to move away from London, there has definitely been some highlights during my three years.

Pauline

Extra-curricular opportunities were my favourite things at King’s and I would encourage you to take up as many as you can! For example, I did many optional modules such as the Principal’s Global Leadership Award which was a great way to meet people from across the university and included a fully paid residential weekend at Cumberland Lodge. I was lucky enough to represent King’s at an all-expenses paid conference in Rome. There is also the Student Opportunity Fund where you can apply for funding for various activities.  Throughout the year we got emails detailing various opportunities and as not everyone reads their emails, if you do you can often sign up to amazing things! There are also lots of sports and cultural offerings that are free or cheaper than they will ever be once you have graduated and these are a really great way to learn new things, meet new people or support your wellbeing.

However, a lesson I have learnt is to not do too much at once as you then cannot or dedicate enough time or effort to each individual thing. My tip would be to spend some time looking through all the opportunities before term to make sure you don’t miss anything amazing. Then decide which ones you want to take up and plan ahead to make sure you can comfortably fit them around your studies (which you definitely can!).

Top Tips

• Explore London more! Make sure of this amazing city that we live in; there’s always something to do around the corner, across the river or maybe even at the university. Don’t be afraid to be a tourist in this city. There was a time in-between all the stress of deadlines and exams that I made a point to go to a new place every weekend in London. My favourite place is the Wellcome Collection, as they always have something new.  Also, with my placements and work opportunities, I’ve had the chance to go to areas of London I wouldn’t necessarily have gone on my own. For example, definitely make the trip to Bethlem Royal Hospital. I went whilst working on a research project, but the Bethlem Museum of the Mind is definitely worth visiting.
    • Join societies, even if it seems overwhelming. It can seem hard to meet friends outside of your course. My biggest advice is to put yourself out there and try new things – You never know what you might like. I tried out hockey in second year having never played it before, and it was such a great time. I had a chance to explore something new!Apart from my friends on the course, the friends that I’ve made that I can say will last a long time, are definitely people I’ve met during societies. You’re joined by a shared experience and interest. And it’s always nice to not talk about the coursework that’s due in the week after!
    • Sleep is important. Definitely, do everything and have the best time, but sleep is a time for your body to recuperate and recover! It can seem quite hard to get the NHS recommended 6 – 9 hours of sleep, but definitely, know when to set aside work to sleep. Setting boundaries for myself between work and rest was something I had to learn at university. Being more independent, and working more at home, meant that the lines between work and rest were more blurred. This distinction is definitely an important skill to learn, and will likely carry for your life. Understand what your body needs and when to take a break.
    • I will really miss the farmer’s market on campus and the nearby Borough Market, I used to treat myself to nice food there, especially during exam time.

As ever feel free to ask us any questions you have on the Offer Holder Facebook group.

Wishing you all the best for results day,

Liv, Val and Pauline