How studying MSc Early Intervention in Psychosis helped Alison’s career

Early Intervention in Psychosis MSc
Alison

I chose MSc Early Intervention in Psychosis because it was an exciting opportunity to advance my knowledge, improve my writing style and increase my employability following my undergraduate degree (BSc Psychology).

The teaching standard and content was excellent. The topics and research literature discussed was at the forefront of development, making learning interesting and novel. My favourite module was the psychosocial module; it allowed me to appreciate the vast array of techniques and therapeutic modalities available when working with people with psychosis. It felt like I was learning practical skills that I could use in my work.

My favourite lecture was The Tree of Life Lecture. This was a therapeutic approach I’d never heard of before, and we were able to do this powerful exercise whilst in the classroom. It felt like we had learnt about an accessible tool we could use to engage hard-to-reach populations, which is crucial for culturally relevant practice.

My research project was a systematic review: prodromal symptoms of bipolar disorder. The research indicated that there are bipolar-specific prodromal symptoms of bipolar. i.e. that we could identify individuals who are likely to have a bipolar diagnosis in the future prior to them meeting this threshold. This means there are opportunities for specific preventative healthcare. Examining the pathophysiology of prodromal illness was fascinating. Delineating the trajectories of different psychological disorders felt worthwhile as it could have meaningful and beneficial implications for future client care.

After completing the MSc Early Intervention in Psychosis, I spent one month applying for jobs before I managed to secure an interview and post as an Assistant Psychologist (CAMHS setting). I am now doing a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology.

The MSc Early Intervention in Psychosis helped me progress in my career as it enabled me to improve my writing style significantly which helped when completing job applications. Understanding the ethos of early intervention was essential for me to obtain a psychologically-relevant post after my MSc (Assistant Psychologist in a Tier 2 Early Intervention CAMHS team).

The course also played a crucial part in my progression to the Clinical Psychology Doctorate. My dissertation and opportunities for dissemination allowed me to stand out and increase points on my application. Furthermore, the content covered on the course meant I could feel confident when taking the research method exams/vignettes as part of the Clinical Psychology interview. The course helped me to develop a holistic biopsychosocial approach when thinking about client care; a fundamental basis for client formulation as well as ensuring that I was aware and reflecting upon prominent issues within NHS provision and psychological care.

If you are interested in finding out more about the Early Intervention in Psychosis MSc, please visit our online prospectus.