Why I chose to study General Engineering

By Nadia, BSc General Engineering
By Nadia, BSc General Engineering

When I looked at the world around me as a young girl, I saw people’s reliance on objects in their everyday lives. As I grew up, I became increasingly involved in the process of how these things were put together – I wanted to be an Inventor, and learnt that the professional term for this occupation was an Engineer.

I have always known I wanted to pursue a career in engineering, as I enjoy mathematics and physics. It is the field that provides impactful solutions to problems in the world, like working with artificial intelligence or developing early warning detection systems. As engineers, we are constantly changing the world with inventions and solutions that affect everyone’s lives. We get to dream up all the coolest gadgets, then we get to go into the lab and actually make them.

My personal interests have had a large impact on my choice of study. I love to design, create and give back to my community. There were times I was doubtful about going into Engineering as it is a male-dominated field, however I was introduced to amazing things that could only be made with Engineering and this pushed me to pursue my dream. We all, like myself are still learning everyday about what makes the world work, like how you can make apps or how games are built. We use the materials that surround us in the world to create new medicines or design space shuttles.

Throughout my secondary school life, my extracurricular activities helped me develop a variety of skills. Primarily, I have been in charge of a number of projects such as charity work for children in Asia, which involved coming up with innovative events to raise money. As an engineer there are times when an individual with leadership and cooperative skills must rise and take charge in different projects. Interpersonal skills play a big role in an engineer’s life because they will always be required to communicate with people and I’ve always found myself to be a sociable yet empathetic person who understands people’s needs.

Being a big dreamer, I decided I didn’t want to miss out on any of the skills an engineer could possess because there is a myriad of disciplines out there to specialise in. I therefore decided not to specialise straightaway, and opted to pursue a degree in General Engineering at King’s, which facilitates a broad approach to the field. I am already studying mathematics, computing, design engineering and electronics in my first semester. This degree allows me to engage in a wide range of skills to study in multiple fields, which gives me a better idea of where I’d like to concentrate my efforts in in the future. The main aspect that has inspired me to study engineering is the large contribution it has on improving and developing society’s standard of living, which I hope I can contribute to largely as my career takes off.

Read more…

Find out why Zara chose to study Electronic Engineering at King’s

Check out Cherry’s top tips for starting uni