Day in the Life of a Fast Streamer: Avi Holden

Have you ever wondered what someone on the Civil Service Fast Stream does in their day-to-day role? Are you interested in applying for the programme but are not sure which scheme to apply to? Our Day in the Life of series will feature posts from graduates on different Civil Service Fast Stream programmes, writing about their roles, what they do, and the highlights of their civil service careers so far! Keep an eye on our blog for the next posts as part of this series, and if you are interested in learning more about the Fast Stream programme, visit: Home | Civil Service Fast Stream.

Avi Holden, Year 2 Statistics Scheme

Current Posting: Press Office Statistician, Department for Business and Trade

Location: London

Previous Posting: Industry Negotiations Analyst, Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities

Hi everyone! I’m currently working as the sole statistician within the Press Office of the Department for Business and Trade on my second 12 month posting as part of the Statistics Fast Stream.

My role is extremely fast-paced and completely dependent on what is in the media at the time, so my day-to-day work is never the same! My work primarily involves providing latest statistics, analytical advice, and support to communication colleagues for queries from news outlets, press releases, social media posts and speeches etc. I also work with a team of statisticians outside of the Press Office to produce and quality assure statistical briefing products on new official statistics publications (from multiple Government departments) that go to large numbers of people, including Ministers and our Secretary of State.

Highlights of posting

• Going to No.10 to shadow a lobby briefing
  • Getting an insight into the crazy world of media and communications!
  • Exposure to the broad scope of the Department

Any incorrect figures getting released from the Department could have a huge impact on its reputation, so I also do a lot of work to improve the Press Office’s use and understanding of statistics. This involves keeping press officers up to date with any new official statistics publications that are due to be released, running regular seminars/teach-ins, and producing/providing useful statistical resources for them to use.

One thing I love about being in the Civil Service is that everyone is also encouraged to spend 5-10% of their contracted hours working towards a ‘corporate contribution’ (or a couple of smaller ones). As part of this, I volunteer for the Charity for Civil Servants (CFCS) at events across the UK, which involves responsibilities such as manning event stalls to increase awareness of the Charity and running fundraisers to raise money for the cause.