Diversity at King’s – A students experience

Ava Khoshnaghsh

Diversity is a word that holds a different meaning to each person. A diverse community is more than just acknowledging our differences but rather having a sense of belonging. Having grown up in London, one of the most diverse cities in the world, I have always looked forward to meeting different people from all over the world. I remember the summer of Year 12 when choosing my universities, one of the reasons I was drawn to King’s was the diverse student population. Being introduced to new cultures, languages and customs is an invaluable experience I will always cherish. University is one of the few places where you can meet people from all over the world, making it the best place to learn new cultures and gain a fresh perspective. By understanding a range of diverse backgrounds, it allows us to connect with one another on a more personal level and value our individual differences.

Ava

At King’s College London Student Union, we have over 300 different societies and activity groups led by students: ranging from food societies to arts, politics and faith groups. There is so much to explore during your time at King’s and definitely something of interest for all audiences in our very diverse student community. The contribution of every student in our community is appreciated and celebrated at King’s. Students are encouraged to get involved in societies… or even set up their own! There are many opportunities at King’s to raise new ideas on how to bring more diversity onto campus. The King’s 100 is a diverse group of just over 100 students, reflective of King’s community, who co-create student experience projects and initiatives which you can get involved with. You can also keep up with ‘The Diversity Digest’ which is a platform showcasing Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at King’s through stories podcasts, articles and more. Definitely check it out through the link attached and stay up to date with how King’s improves diversity and student participation: https://blogs.kcl.ac.uk/diversity/

During my second year at King’s, I was part of the Biosciences Student Association (BSA) as the Welfare Officer. This was a great opportunity as it allowed me to work with the BSA to support students and make sure they’re enjoying their time studying here at King’s. I would definitely recommend getting involved in the student community! Whether it be related to your faculty, hobbies and interests you have or simply looking to enrich your time at university with a new experience. This is only one example of how you can get involved! The student officers at KCLSU also run many sessions which welcomes all students to attend and discuss their thoughts. The King’s Vision ‘to make the world a better place’ is one we should all strive for by creating a kind, welcoming and goal-orientated community.

Join the conversation

2 Comments

1. This was a great read, Ava! I love how you spoke about your experience of working with different communities at King’s!