Why I chose to study at King’s? – A Students Experience

Mahak Salik

I understand that making a choice of university is anyway difficult that a pandemic over us has made it worse. I know a lot of you must be having so many questions and speculations regarding your decision to study at King’s College London, especially during these uncertain times. I urge you to not worry because I have been where you are now.  

I am Mahak Salik, a postgraduate student at KCL. I am from India and am currently enrolled in a Public Health course in the Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine. It is a yearlong master’s course and requires a dissertation submission on its completion. Honestly, like any other student, I had applied to a couple of universities in the UK, secretly wishing to get accepted by King’s. King’s has a distinguished reputation in the UK. Its location in the center of London is just a cherry on the cake. It also forms a part of the Russell group, which further supports its claims of world class research and education. On comparing the course modules among different universities, King’s was the only university which was offering a statistical module within this course. This module holds another level of importance since its high demand during the present times of the pandemic. Also, King’s offers a wide range of modules to choose from, some from different departments as well so that we can shape our own future goals. Once, I got the offer, there was no looking back.  

As a current King’s student, I would advise you to consider every aspect of the university before taking any decision. It is important to consider the ranking, location, module of choice, available support especially during these uncertain times and most importantly the vision of the university and if it matches with yours.