My study abroad experience

Sheraz Imran, Final Year Pharmacy MPharm

As part of my study abroad semester for my final year research dissertation I was lucky enough to travel to Penang, Malaysia. Being able to study abroad was an absolutely incredible experience and not one you should miss!

One of the reasons King’s was my dream university to pursue my studies at was the fact that they offered the opportunity to spend half an academic year studying abroad. While a number of other universities offered study abroad opportunities, Kings’ renowned global reputation meant the sky was your limit in terms of deciding which country you wanted to undertake yours in. Not to mention, King’s also incentivised such an opportunity by highly subsiding your course fees for the corresponding year. All this was a massive bonus considering how CV-enhancing study abroad already was.

The months leading upto my departure were full of administrative tasks such as finding the most suitable flights, organising travel insurance, applying for a student VISA and applying for the most appropriate accommodation. The preparation at times did seem a little gruelling but it was worth it!

View of Kuala Lumpur, including the Twin Towers

I was nervous at first as it was the first time I was going to be away from the comforts of my home city London for an extended period of time but I had nothing to worry about because from the minute I arrived the hospitality of the Malaysian people was incredibly welcoming, accommodating and friendly. This included my Malaysian university supervisor personally offering to collect me from the airport and dropping me off to my selected residence of accommodation. It was noticeable throughout my trip that everyone, from the staff at the institution to the people on the streets, was constantly willing to go out of their way to lend some advice or a helping hand!

Everyday life was relatively easy to adapt to since much of the commodities I was so used to in London were also available here but at almost a fraction of the price! Living expenses were extremely affordable meaning there was always plenty of money left over to travel and explore the famous tourist attractions Malaysia had to offer.

My host institution was incredibly flexible with how I managed my study and leisure time and more often than not my supervisor actually encouraged me to visit as many different places and explore as many different sites as I possibly could. I was able to visit the tallest twin towers in the world in Kuala Lumpur, the steepest cable car line in the world in the Langkawi cable cars and indulge in the incredible Malaysian food cuisine which is definitely amongst the best in the world.

Langkawi Cable Cars

The highlight of my visit was to the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, home to the incredible Petronas Twin Towers, the tallest twin towers in the world. The views from the 86th floor were absolutely breath-taking and single-handedly worth the visit to the capital. The vibrant night markets, full of life till the early hours of dawn really exemplified the electrifying atmosphere Malaysia is well and truly known for. 

On a much more personal level the experience as a whole made me much more independent, confident and more open to exploring new cultures. Though being far from home could feel a little overwhelming at times, I would definitely not hesitate to do it all again and recommend anyone else considering undertaking such a unique opportunity to embrace it with open arms!

Views from the Twin Towers

Join the conversation

2 Comments

1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and adore finding out far more on this topic. If achievable, as you gain knowledge, would you mind updating your weblog with far more facts? Its extremely helpful for me.

2. Many thanks for talking some sense! This is really I hope everybody gets the point youre trying to make here. I had no clue on some of the things you mentioned earlier, thanks!