Expanding Horizons: My Journey to Professional Success at King’s College London

By Anmoyul Mohon, MSci Pharmacology

As a prospective student considering King’s College London, you may be intrigued by what lies beyond the confines of typical lectures and why this institution stands out for both academic excellence and employability. Allow me to share my journey, which serves as a testament to the abundance of opportunities available at King’s and how they’ve shaped my career trajectory.

Undoubtedly, one of the most remarkable advantages of studying at King’s College London is the wealth of opportunities it offers to students. Through platforms like the main job board, CareerConnect, and the exclusive King’s Talent Bank, students gain access to internships and job opportunities that not only complement their studies but also offer invaluable practical experience.

Reflecting on my own journey, which commenced amidst the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, I can attest to the transformative impact of these opportunities. Despite the uncertainties, I seized both remote and face-to-face jobs across multidisciplinary fields. These roles not only honed my practical skills but also fostered essential soft skills crucial for post-university success.

Navigating diverse job roles, albeit unrelated to my course, allowed me to cultivate adaptability, resilience, and effective communication—qualities indispensable in today’s dynamic job market. As I approach the culmination of my academic journey, I am grateful for the holistic education King’s College has provided, equipping me not only with academic knowledge but also with the practical skills and experiences necessary for a fulfilling career beyond university.

In my first year of integrated master pharmacology, I initially had limited knowledge about internships. However, exposure to peers securing internships related to their studies sparked my curiosity. Early on, I explored the King’s CareerConnect portal, where I secured my first summer job as a part-time admin at King’s College London Sports Academia. This experience taught me collaboration skills, work under pressure, and communication skills while introducing me to people from diverse departments.

During my time at King’s sports department, I learned about various opportunities. One was a tutoring scheme for GCSE students and the Biomedical Vacation Scholarship (BVS) funded by the Wellcome Trust. I also encountered another intern who informed me about these opportunities. Additionally, I learned about the King’s Scholars plus program, where students from all departments can apply to teach GCSE students in London partner schools. This networking led me to secure a part-time job as a tutor, which I continued even into my fourth year. This tutoring job has been particularly beneficial during my final year, as I need to present and explain my research projects concisely.

Once I finished my first King’s Sports Academy mini-internship, I immediately sought feedback on my cover letter from my academic tutor and my former King’s Sports Academy manager, from both scientific and non-scientific perspectives. This proactive approach helped me refine my application materials and secure the BVS internship for the summer. This internship provided practical skills directly relevant to my field, such as molecular and cellular techniques in the context of neurogenetics. It also offered insights into academic research at the postdoctoral level and expanded my professional network.

PCR (DNA Analysis) during my BVS summer internship.

During the subsequent year, there was one surprisingly interesting non-pharmacology module, focusing on bacteriology. I knew based on my first BVS, that to become the best researcher possible, I needed to step out of my comfort zone and try different labs, not necessarily pharmacology laboratories but still relevant to my research goals. That’s why I made a conscious effort to keep track of the skills I acquired from previous roles and highlighted them during interviews and cover letter writing. This approach helped me secure another summer internship in 2023 at the Lister Institute Summer Internship, where I delved into microbiology research at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, in a completely different university environment and with people I had never met before.

Organising my experiment each morning at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

Aside from honing my research skills, which are crucially relevant to microbial pharmacology (especially in light of the increased focus due to the COVID-19 pandemic), during this internship, I was invited by my laboratory head to present at the annual Lister meeting conference held at Oxford University. This opportunity not only taught me how to present my data to a large audience comprised of students and experts in the field but also underscored the importance of networking. At the conference, I met a research assistant from another university who worked on diabetes and informed me that their lab was looking for a part-time research assistant which I did differ due to my final year workload.

Oxford University – day of conference

In essence, King’s College London is more than just a university—it’s a vibrant community where individuals from diverse backgrounds converge, offering opportunities beyond academia. Each internship and job opportunity stacked upon the other, allowing me to develop a versatile skill set adaptable to different environments. Whether in tutoring, administrative roles, or laboratory research, each experience contributed to my growth and preparation for the ever-evolving job market.

In conclusion, King’s College London’s commitment to providing diverse opportunities beyond lectures has been instrumental in shaping my career path. The university’s emphasis on practical experiences, coupled with its strong support systems, has empowered me to navigate the complexities of the professional world with confidence. As I embark on the next chapter of my journey, I am deeply grateful for the transformative impact of my time at King’s College London.